More than 120 Republicans met in a zoom call to talk about forming a third party

Originally published at: More than 120 Republicans met in a zoom call to talk about forming a third party | Boing Boing

8 Likes

38 Likes

Why do the colors in the legend not match the colors on the map?

17 Likes

They have my blessings.

24 Likes

I know it’s just a typo but “Arnold Arnold Schwarzenegger” sounds like an awesome version of Hungry Hungry Hippos.

33 Likes

i haven’t been this excited about u.s. politics since the whig party blew up.

probably tmi, but this is my tombstone next to my first wife’s grave . . .

15 Likes

It would have to be Arnie Arnie Austrian

Edit: changed Arnold to Arnie - sounds better

5 Likes

This would seem to be the ideal time for a splinter party on the left to engage them in a good-faith deal to focus on legislation that breaks the stranglehold of the two-party system. They’d be only hurting themselves by splintering under the current system and going it alone. But It’s something we’ve long wanted on the left, and there are moves - like Maine’s new ranked-choice voting - that they should be throwing their weight behind.

12 Likes

So… Democrats?

41 Likes

Dah I am so hongry I must eat plastic pellet!

9 Likes

Maybe afterwards the Democratic party can splinter off the Progressive party

6 Likes

So like this, but backwards?

7 Likes

Unfortunately a number of “centrist” Democrats could be siphoned off into a party that large corporations would be more comfortable with, taking all that sweet funding with them.

10 Likes

Don’t get too excited everyone. About 30 years ago in Canada there was a splinter party formed by former Progressive Conservatives (an oxymoronic name if I ever heard one) called the Reform Party, a far-right (by Canadian standards) group. People on the left then chuckled at the foolishness. Then Reform overshadowed and stole most of the candidates from the PC party, eventually absorbed the PCs, rebranded themselves the Conservatives, and went on to rule Canada for 11 shameful years. They’re still the official opposition, and still dicks.

What I’m saying is that this could be a funny vote-splitting mistake, or it could be something far worse. Don’t count your chickens, etc.

25 Likes

“We have to do something about the loonies setting our country on fire!”
– Man wearing sheet carrying a smoldering torch.

11 Likes

It’s a slightly weird key- darker shades of red or blue correspond to states who voted more consistently R or D in the 1856-1892 elections.

The states in green, Idaho and North Dakota, only voted in the last of those elections- and voted for the People’s Party, aka the Populists. So they’re very dark green, corresponding to a 100% record of being carried by the Populists.

7 Likes

The Integrity party and the Center Right party were a couple of the names tossed around for this splinter group.

How 'bout the “Leopard ate my face” party?

26 Likes

I mean, that’s already where we’re at without anything resembling a centrist wing. The National and state party orgs are racing to punish people like Cheney and Romney for not toeing the line. Republicans could theoretically go further right, but not much further and stay marginally within the Constitutional framework (not that it matters to them; when it’s time, they’ll happily abandon that, too). They are no where near Reagan or even W’s GOP right now.

8 Likes

I have to laugh. Don’t these “principled” Republicans realize that the only reason their party lasted beyond 1972 was BECAUSE they coopted all the folks they now want OUT of their party?

16 Likes

What a sad era we live in when a return to the Republican Party of George W Bush is considered a return to sanity.

25 Likes