Mormon official silences 12-year-old girl in church after she says she's gay

My trans* foster child was mistreated in exactly this way by a Mormon foster family before coming to my home. They were forced to wear a dress, attend “girls” groups, and lie about their orientation in the church. They were taken out of the state to attend a camp where Mormons tried to change their orientation. (Conversion therapy is illegal in this state but not in neighboring Idaho.) A relatively well adjusted, resilient child was turned into a traumatized, maladapted suicidal and self harming one.

I have spent the last 9 months helping a child process the trauma these people put them through, when they were expected (and supposedly trained) to respond appropriately and help kids in their care. Reports to the authorities fall on deaf ears. There are other LGBT kids in their home now being subjected to the same treatment.

I’ve had other cases like this but this particular family makes me furious. It’s the organized and planned nature of the treatment that makes it so painful. This happens every day and is putting kids at serious risk.

69 Likes