Mossad stalked and intimidated ICC prosecutor in effort to avoid Israel war crime charges

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/29/mossad-stalked-and-intimidated-icc-prosecutor-in-effort-to-avoid-war-crime-charges.html

9 Likes
14 Likes

Nothing says “I’m not doing anything wrong” quite like having your secret service stalk and threaten an ICC prosecutor.

There’s some strong “rogue state” energy here.

18 Likes

Rogue state. Should be lumped in with Russia, Iran, North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

6 Likes

Israel then convinced the Trump administration to issue sanctions against Bensouda and other ICC prosecutors investigating Israel, based on vague and unsubstantiated accusations of “corruption.” (When Biden took office, they were quietly dropped, so you know they were 100% bullshit.) A conspiracy of thugs.

And the US… (The non-signatory list for the ICC is… informative.)

7 Likes

Not only is the U.S. not a signer, we have a law authorizing invasion of the Netherlands if the ICC ever detains U.S. military personnel. Ain’t that America?

8 Likes

Yeah, and I believe the US imposed sanctions on ICC prosecutors when they were investigating some US soldiers at one point.

I understand the US signed*, but then made it clear it would never ratify**, which sounds like is some “have your cake and eat it too” bullshit, where the US isn’t subject to the ICC, but has some input and can use it as a cudgel against others when desired, to some degree. (Wilhoit’s law, etc. etc.)

*The “Rome Statute”
**The ICC founding treaty

6 Likes

My mistake, thank you for clarifying that point!

2 Likes

Seems like I’ve seen the US described as “not a signatory,” and I don’t know if it’s technically true or not (depending on the particular document/agreement?)… the US certainly didn’t “sign on” to give the ICC any power over it, anyways.

1 Like

From the Wikipedia:

United States policy concerning the ICC has varied widely. The Clinton administration signed the Rome Statute in 2000, but did not submit it for Senate ratification. The George W. Bush administration, the U.S. administration at the time of the ICC’s founding, stated that it would not join the ICC. The Obama administration subsequently re-established a working relationship with the Court as an observer.[

These decisions, taken collectively, make it seem like the U.S. has just intended to make a mockery of the ICC, attempting to hold the world to standards that it would never submit to. Which is very on-brand for the U.S., I guess.

Apologies for the tangent, it wasn’t my intent to derail the thread.

6 Likes

You’re not the only one to think that way.

“This is the behaviour of a crime family, not the conduct of a state, and member states should say so,” Haque said.

5 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.