International Criminal Court arrest warrants for Benjamin Netanyahu and Hamas boss Yahya Sinwar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/20/international-criminal-court-arrest-warrants-for-benjamin-netanyahu-and-hamas-leaders-yahya-sinwar.html

16 Likes
9 Likes

I rather want to see them both thrown into a pit with a pair of knives and left to settle their differences one-on-one. (When they’re done, we can just flood the pit or fill it in or something).

But this is good too.

In the unlikely event that the case comes to trial, both men will probably wriggle out of it with the help of their attorneys … but we should insist on witness testimony from every single person who has been affected in any way by their cruelty and violence, and with luck that’ll keep them both tied up in court for the rest of their natural lives.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Not if Netanyahu has any say in the matter, of course. There was that whole THING, you know?

13 Likes

8 Likes

Israel and the United States both withdrew as signitories to the ICC’s jurisdiction

So basically the US and Israel’s response to the ICC is something like this:

3 Likes

With the exception that no other country would actually arrest a traveling US president (as deserving as it might be - looking at you, Shrub) whereas a country outside of the Middle East arresting Bibi is entirely feasible. And ultimately, the Israeli government might send them a fruit basket with a nice thank you note once it reorganizes.

5 Likes

Yeah. If Netanyahu has to in future behave like an international fugitive and only pass through countries that are safe havens for international criminals that’s a good outcome.

Don’t let them pretend it’s normal.

9 Likes
2 Likes

Ours is a world of power, not a world of law.

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Unfortunately the U.S. is one of those countries. We’re not a signatory to the ICC treaty, but even if we were I doubt that our government would attempt an arrest.

Not only are government officials from Biden on down criticizing this move, but a lot of politicians from both parties are seriously considering sanctioning the ICC over the arrest warrant. (And from my understanding there’s not actually a warrant out there yet, just ICC prosecutors seeking a warrant.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.