Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu indicted on corruption charges

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/21/israels-prime-minister-benja.html

6 Likes

26 Likes

Bibi can go fu#k himself, he’s a lowlife scum.

20 Likes

z89

22 Likes

Remember all those billboards Netanyahu put up around Jerusalem? Good times.

trump-netanyahu-banner

24 Likes

Worse still…

19 Likes

I would ask “which man is now more embarrassed to be associated with the other?” but that would imply that both of these men are capable of experiencing shame.

21 Likes

You’d think they’d at least take a quick look at his track record with this kinda thing before putting his cursed name on them…

11 Likes

The sign says, “Netanyahu, Another League” and boy howdy, but it’s not wrong. Netanyahu is happy to be in league with the worst dictators, strong men, and corrupt politicians in the world. (Other billboards had him next to Putin and Erdogan, just in case there was any doubt which league he’s in!!)

18 Likes

I love it when somewhat Nazi-like politicians get slapped down like this.

Is Trump next?

10 Likes

Bibi’s only consolation is that his father is no longer alive to give him yet another reason why he’s not as good as his brother and never will be.

11 Likes

The League of Mediocre Gentlemen

12 Likes

I saw that one back in February. Hard to tell from the picture but it’s about six stories tall. Insane.

4 Likes

What, no eyes-as-mouths-photoshop? Disappointed!

/s

Only as a point of information, Haaretz English is kind of a distant cousin of most of the Israeli press. Their readership is pretty much entirely outside of Israel and they frame their stories appropriately to their audience. Haaretz English reports the quotes from the AG but leaves out what lots of Hebrew papers have been pointing out for a long time that the process leading up to this has been highly politicized.

Seems it has been a real shitshow year for Israeli politics across but board. Many wags there have pointed out that if a 3rd election comes it will fall on Purim according to the letter of the law.

To be clear, longtime Likud member and Netanyahu appointee AG Avichai Mandelblit might have been politically motivated in the leadup to the indictment, but that would have been to delay the indictment of his old friend and mentor Bibi. Netanyahu should have been tossed out on his ass in 2016.

5 Likes

Off the top of my head (not having time to go back and trying to search out particular articles (my written Hebrew sucks making searching much harder)) I remember a few general patterns

• sourcing of evidence may or may not have been legitimate
  • Influence within the AG staff (several sources/ideas)
  • infighting within the AG office
  • As you point out, whether or not AG Avichai Mandelblit may or may not have delayed (several theories on reasons)

Personally I’m not weighing in or speculating what “should” or should not be the legal outcome. Thats for the courts to decide. Innocent until proven guilty applies in Israeli law (unlike the press or Elizabeth Warren’s tweets). Above is what I recall reading and any flaws in presenting that are mine and mine alone.

Ninja edit: added word “not” in first line in parentheses.

Are you saying that Israel finally got rid of their horrendous policy of administrative detention? Fabulous!

As for Bibi, if he’s found not guilty in a fair trial, so be it; I would just like to see the last of him in power in Israel, where his irresponsibly provocative policies have made the world much less safe for diasporic Jews like me (and I think you).

4 Likes

Surely they are a league of extraordinary gentlemen, in the BoingBoing headline sense of “gentleman”.

4 Likes

With the exception of Shimoi Perez, I recall similar statements from American Jews for just about every PM I can remember for a long time. The thing is it isn’t measurably true one way or the other.