Most of Marjorie Taylor Greene’s donors come from out of state

“I’ll pay for her, but not to represent me, no fucking way!”

She’s a human NIMBY.

3 Likes

it’s always been surprising to me that people from out of state or out of district are even allowed to donate to what would otherwise be local campaigns.

small districts seem like they should have small campaigns, not millions of dollars flowing in from other places

11 Likes

This revelation surprised me not at all.

1 Like

If it were disallowed anywhere I guarantee you some right-wing individual corporation, or think tank would challenge it as a First Amendment violation under Citizens United, one of the most destructive SCOTUS decisions ever.

5 Likes

A couple of good books on the history of the carpet industry in the area:

• Flamming, Douglas. Creating the Modern South: Millhands and Managers in Dalton, Georgia, 1884-1984 . Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1992.
  • Patton, Randall L., with David B. Parker. Carpet Capital: The Rise of a New South Industry . Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 1999.
3 Likes

Citizens United was the beginning of the end of my time in the US. Until then I genuinely believed in the remarkable piece of Enlightenment-Era thinking that was the US Constitution. When that decision came down, I realized that the document is meaningless. The people interpreting it will make up anything they want anyway. Any school child could tell you that decision is an insane reading of 1A.

9 Likes

A reading we can now confidently say came from judges on the take, too.

11 Likes

Yeah, even though I know this is the case, it still always throws me when this happens, as it seems so fundamentally wrong. Our democracy is so broken in so many ways…

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.