Most of Marjorie Taylor Greene’s donors come from out of state

Originally published at: Most of Marjorie Taylor Greene's donors come from out of state | Boing Boing

3 Likes

There is not much wealth in that part of the state, so it would make sense that her campaign funding is coming from wealthy fascists in order to whip up working class fascists who live there…

20 Likes

This is what they are paying for.

10 Likes

They are paying for a pro-fascist to hold that seat. That is what she is.

13 Likes

Greene’s top 5 donor states were Arizona, $17,300; Texas, $14,251; Georgia, $13,179; Florida, $12,209; and California, $9,550, according to her April filing.

While California may seem out of place on that list, its large population means that there are enough wealthy fascist sympathisers to put it there.

15 Likes

the state of jefferson

11 Likes

People tend to forget that there are more Republicans in California than there are in Texas.

16 Likes

Yep. Orange County too, I’m sure.

8 Likes

OC is bluing but Jefferson is darker red every day

7 Likes

Wait, so she only got $2300 from her own district? Only 0.4% of her contributions? That’s it?

Still though - six contributors? Those mostly aren’t large contributions, either.

8 Likes

Again… not a lot of extra money up there for making political contributions. In generally, the area is not highly politically active in that way. It’s a longer term legacy of voter suppression. We’re probably more familiar with how it impacts Black voters (who since the end of Jim Crow tend to be MORE political active than their white counterparts), but white, working class voters are also used to not being actively involved in politics whether they are on the left or right. They see it as something the elites engage in. People on the left tend to be MORE politically involved in my experience. So, no the tiny number of her donors in the 14th does not remotely surprise me here. Keep in mind, this is a pretty white part of the state.

What is really tragic about this, is that the north GA area was associated with pro-union activism during the civil war, as the land up there is not great for plantations, so it tended to be dominated by smaller yeoman farmers who were not part of the enslaver class, and were smart enough to see through their self-serving patriarchal talk at the time. Far too many white southerners up there have bought into the race war bullshit, however.

14 Likes

Georgia District 14 voters getting the best representation they can afford are willing to pay for.

3 Likes

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

6 Likes

The point is that she is bought from without. She is not even from there. She literally moved there when she won.

11 Likes

That is very interesting. Thank you for the history lesson.

7 Likes

4 Likes

MTG is weird and sometimes hard to understand, but on the other hand, MTG is horrible and obvious.

7 Likes

It’s where I grew up, and I have pretty deep family roots there… :woman_shrugging: I know the good and bad of the place pretty well… Plus, my MA adviser wrote a book about the labor movement in that area.

6 Likes

Would it be possible to share the book title? It sound like something I’d enjoy reading.

4 Likes

Here ya go!

7 Likes