Most popular website colors are Black, Red, Blue and ... Tan?

It’s not only websites!

I’ve often found it interesting that data almost always comes in blue (although occasionally you come across green data)…

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1236&bih=753&q=data

2 Likes

Quite a few years ago now, the game development company I was working for updated their website from an outdated black with blue design to what we jokingly referred to as “extreme beige” with blues and browns. (I think it was suppsoed to look like parchment?)

I’m not at all surprised to see it’s still the same, and looks more out of date now than the black/blue ever did.

3 Likes

Possibly because my lenses are yellowing with age, I find pure RGB blue a little too purple for my tastes, and a nice 210° hue (in HSB) looks more like true blue to me.

1 Like

I use the submit link in the header of the blog to suggest articles and stuff but Boing Boing may have another means I’m not aware of. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

I had the same thought, but I was worried it might end being awkward!

Hahah got it.

Ignore me!

4 Likes

When I am stumbling through cyberspace after too many black and tans, people usually send the red and blues after me.

6 Likes

So, a version two of this would be to take screenshots of websites and analyse those? I would like to see where “tan” ranks in that list

would that the clear sky were now ff00ff,
which is win32 transparent, the banned color,
they said we wouldn’t choose it,
well ff00ff on them

Heresy! (Well technically accurate, but heresy!)

The blue of hyperlinks is perfect because it’s not found in nature. No mistaking a a nice blue hyperlink for anything else in the natural universe.

However, your position is obviously held by a large number of other web designers, who force the rest of us to use precious, rare (at my age) neurons to figure out what part of the page is actually clickable.

Bah, the web has been all downhill since they allowed the IMG tag.

1 Like

I miss <blink> and <marquee>

4 Likes

FWIW, in sites I create I’m considering moving towards reinstating the underline for links that it became fashionable to remove a number of years ago.

The default blue is ugly though, so that goes.

1 Like

Tan rules.

I don’t find myself guessing very often. My bigger complaint right now is when I go to select some text and find the page has been jinxed to load ad windows. Doesn’t stop me copying text if that’s what I’m doing but it does render my reading experience terrible-er if I needed to select some text to keep track of where I was at.

I understand.

That’s one definite possibility. Another commenter on news.ycombinator.com had made someting similar using that technique and ran into some different bugs. I’ll have to do some research before I begin coding the updated version.

Could support for these be added to the Discourse wishlist along with animated user avatars?

3 Likes

*shudder*

3 Likes

Purple is the best.

1 Like