Originally published at: Vote for your favorite hex color | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Caribbean green:

3 Likes

Now we’re sharing the same dream

10 Likes

*lolz

3 Likes

What’s the hex code for transparent? Ah, crap, there is none.

1 Like

But the ranks only show my votes. I want to see the aggregate results from everyone. Show me how bland or crazy people are!

2 Likes

I like a classic #333333

but also a dark mossy #4a5d23

4a5d23

hex color encodings which kinda spell something, like #BADA55

2 Likes

#666666 was not an option, so I’m out

sure there is, just append the alpha trans value to the end #RRGGBBAA

3 Likes

This question was answered years ago by the noted philosopher Hugh Giffsaschidt.

Edit: I believe this is meant to represent the aggregate? I didn’t vote black over any other color and I was definitely voting blue more than greens.

3 Likes

Neat website, and Im curious to see where that data leads.

At first I thought you were asking for favorite hex colors and I had the perfect story so IMMA share that too.

Back in Art School, I had a color & composition teacher that had worked for Ford as a designer. He said that all the designers looked for cool names for colors and the coolest name he had heard was “Come And Get Me Copper!!!”, so I’ll drop this pic of #B87333 and pour one on the curb in memory of good ole’ Al McNea. ^____^

1 Like

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

On my screen, both those articles seem to be displaying a different colour, neither of which looks quite the same as the actual colour of a tobacco packet (it’s greener to my eyes).

2 Likes

Yes. There are entire industries and scientific disciplines devoted to arguing about this stuff.

Yeah, the first issue is that screens are built up in RGB space - you have a whole bunch of Red, Green, and Blue LEDs making the colour, while printed packaging is usually in CMYK space - mixing ink of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and blacK. I don’t think that’s why black is K, but whatever.

The adding them up is totally backwards in each space. Mix everything in RGB space and get white. Mix everything in CMYK and get black-ish-muddy-brown.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.