Motorola long range two-way radios

[Read the post]

3 Likes

How long before the cops or security at a place thinks that walkies are TERROR PHONES?

7 Likes

Ah, memories. The ones I had as a kid didn’t even always work in line-of-sight. Sometimes they didn’t work if w were standing a foot away from each other. We finally just pulled out the antennas and used them as light sabers.

10 Likes

Remember this well.

10 Likes

Motorola users are the good guys!

7 Likes

What is this, 2000? How many MP3 can it hold? Where’s the front-facing camera for selfies? Don’t “shush” me! No, I will not sit down! Get your hands off me!

14 Likes

These dual-use, FRS-General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) units require a FCC license if you use the GMRS channels. I’m a little surprised Amazon doesn’t mention that anywhere. They aren’t toys.

6 Likes

Those Motorola BC-611 WWII handie-talkies are a hoot. I once had a pair of them. They could reach about one block, and the life of the two huge batteries was maybe half an hour.

Sold them for way too much money to a collector.

8 Likes

23-miles… LOL not unless someone is on top of a hill and there are no obstacles in between. Curvature of the earth dictates that ground 3.5 miles out from you will be about your head height, so with two people using radios you have a max distance of about 7 miles on flat land. In mountains and hills you might be able to have obstacles in between because the signal will be reflected from something behind. That’s called Multipath.

7 Likes

Personally I’m waiting for the cell phones in Rudy Rucker’s novel Spaceland that achieved perfect direct bandwidth by connecting through higher dimensions.

Ooooo! I wonder how that could compare to a quantum tunneling module? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

These radios are pretty cool for what they do. But the reviewer didn’t mention that it’s a $7500-12000 federal penalty to use the 8 long-range GMRS channels without obtaining a license from the FCC. It costs $65 for an entire family for 5 years, so it’s not onerous, but it is required. The other 14 channels are the same ol’ gimped FRS, limited to a half watt of transmit power that you’d be lucky to get a 200 yards out of.

2 Likes

Just a silly point, really, but the FCC doesn’t bother hunting down people who abuse frequencies.

There are plenty of people who run kilowatt setups on CB (and ruin those bands for everyone else nationwide) that the FCC should hunt down first.

1 Like

Ask Scottsdale Lexus in Arizona about unlicensed use of GMRS and the $10,000 fine they had to pay.

1 Like

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but yeah, a company using a public radio service while there is plenty of wavelength reserved for companies is going to get reported and going to get attention from the FCC. If you could name a single case where an unlicensed individual was fined for using GMRS, I’d be surprised. Unlicensed users is, so far, unfortunately just something you have to work around if you’re a licensed GMRS station.

Good price on these but damn that is one ugly yellow!

Amazon says these will ship to Japan but I don’t know if they are even legal to use here or if the frequency bands are the same as local gear.

Also all the :heart:️ To@jlw for posting a wonderful thing

2 Likes

I came here to say that. The last I checked a license for the GRMS was $90!! For that price I got my general ham radio license and a nice little Baefeng hand held radio with money to spare.

3 Likes

For the $90 the GRMS license costs, you’re better off getting a ham radio license ($15 for the test usually, sometimes free) and a couple of these great little $34 hand held radios…
Baofeng Dual Band Radios Amazon

2 Likes

My GMRS ticket cost $65. My ham ticket was $15. Now I can talk with my whole family using the cheapo $10 Baofengs on my GMRS ticket and I can talk with the ham world on my $35 Baofeng, and have a good feeling in my heart that I am in full compliance with the law.

2 Likes

The link doesn’t say but my guess is that these radios have two watt transmitters. Should be okay for a couple of kilometers or so. I have a couple of two watt Oricom transceivers. Quite handy in the bush or when travelling. Possibly the exact same radios, because I doubt these units were actually made by Motorola.

I wouldn’t mind some actual Motorola radio gear however.