'Motors'

…and it will still reach market before the Cybertruck.

4 Likes

Any resemblance to a classic Land-Rover is entirely intentional.

3 Likes

We allowed to show our car spotting (is it really car spotting if it is in the dealer?) adventures here?

4 Likes

Only Paganis. :heart:

2 Likes

No Rimac?

3 Likes

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

J/k!

3 Likes

Interesting video. Basically a crash in slow motion. Pilot is reported to be okay.

7 Likes

Visordown: Motorcycle racer blends two and four-stroke design in 1300cc single.

5 Likes

Surely you can’t be serious: Airbus close to landing fully automated passenger jets

[…]
The eventual hope is for the technologies to pave the way for automated landing – or at least compensate for a less than perfect pilot during an emergency situation. If the captain had the fish, for example.
[…]

6 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Been boinged up thread, methinks.

ETA - not that I can find it but recognize the face and the theme from a post somewhere at some time. :nerd_face:

1 Like

RIP Gilles Villeneuve

4 Likes

The F104 “Widowmaker” or “Lawn-dart”. Killed almost as many German pilots as the RAF.

(Yes that is hyperbole)

7 Likes

That’s an Italian AF aircraft in the pic, making it an F-104S… the last variant. Still a lot of crashes though. In Italy it was called the Flying Coffin.

5 Likes

From Wikipedia:

“In the Canadian Forces, the aircraft was sometimes referred to as the “Lawn Dart” and the “Aluminium Death Tube” due to its high operational losses, and “Flying Phallus” due to its shape.”

4 Likes

I still have an old issue of Zipper, a quarterly publication put out by the International F-104 Society, it being, as best as I can tell, an F-104 fan club located in the Netherlands. Want to know the service record and disposition of every F-104 by serial number and whoever the user? Liveries? Crash sites and remaining wreckage? Airfield requirements (!!)? F-104-assigned individual a/c nicknames? Gate guard locations? Unit badges? Etc. Etc. Etc. In spite of all the fatalities, there still remains some nostalgia for the F-104 and usually from civies who loved seeing them doing close flyovers. Anyway, this is “Motors”, so here’s an unusual F-104G German AF one-off CCV research a/c, a fly-by-wire testbed. I believe the fuselage “blisters” between the wings hold instrumentation. Lockheed had at one time proposed that canards be affixed to the F-104, but – based on the proposal artist’s concept – those looked embarrassingly puny compared to the ones on the CCV.

5 Likes

I figure the key here is fully automated, but IIRC automated landing was a feature of the Trident, and that’s close to 60 years ago.

Maybe blind != automated, but I remember a demonstration film had the pilot turned around, talking to the camera, while the plane landed itself.

2 Likes