'Motors'

10 Likes

The true gateway drug!

4 Likes

I love Gurgels. In fact, all Brazilian cars from all the manufacturers are this gloriously weird, convergent species. I especially like the baby muscle cars, they’re all fabulous.

6 Likes

Gurgel G15

Volkswagen EA489 Basistransporter

Wihuri Teijo

Separated at birth?

9 Likes

Cousins!

4 Likes

I was able to diagnose why the trunk lid for my Subaru wouldn’t open on it’s own or stay open: one of the torsion bars was snapped completely at one end. At least I know how to fix that, and the part is only $55. The question is, do I go ahead and buy both replacement torsion bars, since the other bar has been carrying a double load?

On the happier end of the spectrum, while I had the trunk open and the tools out, I had a thought about the trunk area light, which has been out for almost a decade. I had replaced the bulb and that hadn’t fixed it. I thought it might be wiring somewhere or maybe a fuse. I wasn’t going to pull random fuses until I found the right one. But my new thought was, “hey, maybe it’s the sensor?” So I pulled the trunk latch mechanism, and it sure didn’t look like the contact was reaching it’s electrode. So I bent it more. I reassembled it (completely - rookie move, that!) and the trunk light was working! But now it won’t shut off. Pulled it all apart again and tweaked it back a little bit. This time I was smart enough to test it without reassembly. It worked, and shut off!

I know it’s a trivial thing, but it’s been slightly bugging me for about 10 years. So I’m thrilled to have figured it out.

15 Likes
14 Likes
2 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Also, I want a Gurgel!

7 Likes
2 Likes

That seems high - if it’s indeed available for less, then I’d definitely do both.

1 Like

Hydrogen may be energy dense when it comes to weight, but by volume, it’s only a quarter as dense as jet fuel.

Lockheed had a look at that back in the 70s (then got out of the airliner business altogether)
(See upthread)

3 Likes

Want!

10 Likes
9 Likes

Can’t have Motors w/o motor people. Found this on Pinterest this morning. Niki Lauda and James Hunt. Ron Howard’s film Rush made them out to be bitter rivals. In reality they were very good friends and ex-roomies, with Lauda helping out when Hunt had some bad times.

8 Likes

Speaking of motor people…

(Went back to that post to correct the autocorrect)

1 Like
6 Likes
6 Likes