Mount Washington Observatory shares video of man being blown away by 109-mph winds

Reminds me of one of my favorite YouTube clips. Its a windy day in a town somewhere in Russia:

2 Likes

Thanks to climate change, that’s a true statement!

3 Likes

The Pali Lookout on Oahu regularly gets winds over 60mph. Not as strong as in the Mt. Washington video, but enough to keep some smaller visitors from making it to the edge. Even a big guy like me has to lean forward and push through the wind.

“On the afternoon of April 12, 1934, the Mount Washington Observatory recorded a windspeed of 231 miles per hour (372 km/h)…” – Wikipedia

1 Like

Apparently Геленджи́к. (Except the roof pictures at the end, which are apparently Новороссийске. Here’s another video from that day in Новороссийске, watch how the crane falls and just misses both buildings: http://vk.com/video1851435_168074777).

The video you posted was so delightful (especially the music) I tried find out more about it, but without success. I did find this other video about wind in the same town, I don’t know if it was the same day:

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the info!

There’s something so oddly funny about that video. Its like a Chaplan movie somehow.

This is a great captivating easy to read book about a whole bunch of deaths on Mt Washington and other peaks in the Presidential Range. Each chapter is a different incident.

The one that hit home for me was the story of McDonald Barr. You can read that chapter here: http://www.ohcroo.com/pdf/spring2001.pdf. It’s the type of situation I could find myself in. I know I’m not going to ski up there, or attempt a winter hike. But September? Yes - In fact I was at Madison Spring Hut the last day it was open to the public in September 2013. There was a rescue that night after Appalachian Trail thru-hikers reported a disoriented hiker who refused to go on any further. He ended up calling 911 eventually and the croo members went out and retrieved him off Mt Adams not far from the hut. He was fine once he warmed up – his English wasn’t so great but even so he seemed oblivious to what was a obvious brush with death. Freezing rain and 50mph winds can kill anyone.

Then there’s this woman who died up there the winter before last – https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/02/21/the-young-woman-and-mountain/SEBPucaGpA1Fun4R5uoj7K/story.html — she had NO BUSINESS being up there, but went on anyway. Successful people have a tendency to press onward despite obstacles that should be enough to postpone a hike like that. And in this case the decision to press on, combo’ed with other decisions, killed her

It’s a beautiful place – just dangerous especially to those who are aren’t aware of their own limitations.

1 Like

I’ve been in sustained 60-70 mph wind, I weigh 225lbs, and I could sustain a lean at almost a 45 degree angle. It is literally breathtaking how much force that is. 109? I’m going inside.

2 Likes

Inside a brick house. Or stone. Definitely not aluminum siding.

2 Likes

I’ve done above-treeline peaks in the Northeast in winter (on snowshoes or crampons, rather than skis.) I’ve always waited for a favorable weather forecast, gone with a party of at least four with full winter mountaineering gear, and tried to dash in and out before the weather changed. It’s gorgeous up there in winter, as well as being hellishly dangerous.

You’re wise not to attempt it without the specialized training AMC and ADK both offer winter mountaineering schools, because the mountains do indeed kill the unprepared…

2 Likes

Or straw. Or sticks.

1 Like

And I’ll huff, and I’ll puff…

Mother Nature sure is a meanie.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.