Movie theater changed "Hellboy" to "Heckboy" on marquee

https://www.etsy.com/listing/90121835/boston-terrier-hellboy-dog-art-magnet

If you read the Apollo 12 lunar surface journal, then every time Pete Conrad says something like “Oh my goodness”, its because he intended to say something very rude indeed.

6 Likes

Darn, I was hoping someone would say censorship so I could post the XKCD comic.

Back in the day, that’s the same theater where I first saw Marlon Brando in “The GoshFather.”

Good times.

14 Likes

It’s the kind of old straight to DVD movie I’d expect Redbox to stock when Hellboy is still just in theaters…

8 Likes

Darn it, you beat me to those exact words… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

meanwhile in heck

5 Likes

What kind of crazy person would bowdlerize a comic book title like that?

3 Likes

And Endgame is so final. Achievers: Game would be a much more positive title.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I absolutely love that movie! Bill Murray is so convincing as a pompous asshole, who then morphs though all the stages of disbelief, anger, boredom, resignation, and acceptance.

I don’t know what is so entertaining about watching a person deal with the exact same situation over and over, but I think it’s fabulous.

5 Likes

I read elsewhere there is a billboard in town that says “Hell is real”

1 Like

To be fair, his friends call him Heckboy, or just “Heckie”.

The funny thing is, I grew up in a very G-rated house, where “hell”, “crap”, “poop”, “butt” and “dang” were all deeply frowned on and actual swear words were verboten; I’m sure that this change would get an approving nod.

3 Likes

Queen Victoria was amused.

Parade11

2 Likes

Isn’t Heck a few miles west of Lockerbie?

I don’t remember Phil being there though.

2 Likes

“Tonight we dine in HECK!”

2 Likes

This is all much ado about nothing. Look at the movie directly below: LA LLORONA. The movie theatre simply ran out of L’s, and they couldn’t change LA LLORNA, MISSING LINK, or LITTLE and keep them recognizable so they modified Hellboy. You’re not going to go out and buy more L’s just for Hellboy when Heckboy gets the point across just as good.

7 Likes

Looking forward to next summer, when they screen “The Hecko Kitty Movie.”

5 Likes

At least the evolution-leaning “Missing Link” didn’t upset them.

1 Like

They’d probably have a fit of the vapours over a place called Lord Hereford’s Knob! It’s Welsh name is Twmpa, which they might find more acceptable, even if they couldn’t pronounce it!