MRA Scott Adams: pictures and words by Scott Adams, together at last

Ah, yes satire. The last refuge of the scoundrel.

3 Likes

Scott Adams is a dick, plain and simple:

1 Like

After reading that article, I finally figured out who Scott Adams reminded me of:

I remembered an exchange from a while back when Scott Adams trolled PZ Myers at Pharyngula about atheism. Adams got Myers worked up into a froth. Just now I forgot PZā€™s name and went to his site to remind myself. Myers presently (10PM EST 12/13/15) has a blog post that is gloating about MRA Scott Adams at the top of his site. Myers was clearly trolled and still hasnā€™t realized it yet, so Iā€™m leaning toward the thought that Adams is a top level troll.

2 Likes

ā€œa womenā€? ???

I still havenā€™t figured out exactly what Scott Adams the blogger is.

I think there is an element of driving trollies contrarian at work, but I also think he does buy into the idea that because heā€™s successful he must be a lot smarter/wiser than everyone else. I think this comes across with his Donald Trump posts. I think the implication that he supports Trump is driving trollies, but his admiration for Trumpā€™s political acumen? I think thatā€™s legit. He believes Trump really is a political genius. Personally I think Trump is just a shallow blowhard that says whatever heā€™s thinking, itā€™s just that the Republican party is so dysfunctional and the leaders so insincere that being a shallow blowhard with no filter is an excellent strategy.

As for Myers Iā€™m not shocked he got trolled, back when I read Myers I noticed that the atmosphere got extremely toxic if you tried to do anything but bask in the consensus.

3 Likes

Problem is, despite the fact Adams is an egotistical ass, some of the things he wrote are true. Like the point about feedback and the sledge/scalpel choice. What kind of person takes action without caring about whether or not the action hits the right target or whether or not the action is excessive? Hint: a lot of people of that kind are in ISIS and the Taliban. Refusing to care whether your action is warranted and properly focused is fanaticism and stupidity, not activism.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s sort of the Devilā€™s bargain at the heart of civilization. Men donā€™t like sitting around on the same place all the time. Men want to hunt and fuck and kill. But women and their gardening and need to settle down because their children canā€™t walk as fast and their need to tend the fires. Why live in dense cities if it isnā€™t for affection and social connection? Canā€™t get those things? Why support and enable civilization at all.

Wait, what?

14 Likes

Did you just equate feminism with Daesh?

12 Likes

EDIT: Never mind, I misread someone elseā€™s comment as something Scott Adams said.

2 Likes

Who says heā€™s getting what he wants?

EDIT: Well fine then!

What we want and what we can do and what we get are often 3 separate things.

1 Like

Sick troll bruh

5 Likes

Iā€™m curious how careful Adams actually is with his blogging.

Unless he has some crazy VC investments Iā€™m unaware of the bulk of his income still comes from Dilbert. Thereā€™s a real risk that one of his statements crosses the line, gets picked up by some major media outlet, and newspapers start dropping his comic en-mass.

Thereā€™s a reason why celebrities try to stick to generic ā€œsave the whalesā€ campaigns, heā€™s running a real risk of an order-of-magnitude drop in his income.

I think the nicest way to read Scott Adamsā€™ statement is that heā€™s not taking about rape at all, but saying that if you somehow removed his hope of having sex in the future, he wouldnā€™t have the motivation to act in a civilised way toward others and could be manipulated into committing atrocities. I guess itā€™s his way of explaining violent men. The problem is, there are actually groups of men who have had that happen to them, and they donā€™t seem to be more murderous than the average guy. Some men have been made celibate monks from a young age, not necessarily of their own free choice. Others have been castrated. Many of these people have contributed to civilisation rather than becoming sex-crazed killers. While sex may well be important in the list of motivations a man has, itā€™s clearly a lot more complex than that.

Also, someone who thinks that they have no reason not to kill if they donā€™t have access to sex is not the kind of person you want to start a sexual relationship with.

5 Likes

Donā€™t. Itā€™s no skin off my nose. Heā€™d have been dead decades ago if that was his true calling. I really donā€™t see any men throwing off their clothes, dropping their iPads and running in the woods. Most seem to like sitting in front of a screen all day just fine.

Sounds apocryphal. Like his dad could have beaten up anybody- or he could have been an NFL quarterback- if only mom didnā€™t hold him back.

Well - youā€™re a big boy now - you really can choose to live in the woods. Whatā€™s stopping you? Hint - itā€™s not someone else or magic vagina powers.

Itā€™s what you chose. And you make that choice every minute of every day.

11 Likes

They also happen to live in a rigidly controlled environment which imposes its values on them and validates their state through appeals to the desires of a God or gods.
The same applies to the Daesh fighters, but owing to the theology of the controllers the outcome is very different.

1 Like

I have to say that Adams has suffered the fate of many satirists - he has turned into a parody of himself. I freely admit that I hadnā€™t been looking at his recent stuff - I havenā€™t followed Dilbert now for several years - and I think he is now crossing a line between saying stuff that he doesnā€™t actually believe in order to get people to think, and actually starting to believe it. The difference between him and, say, Limbaugh is that there was a time when Adams was self-aware and he could produce brilliant riffs like his one about all the intelligent people having moved to Switzerland.

I suspect there are two factors at work; age, which makes most of us grumpier and nostalgic, and the Internet, which prioritises the voice of contrarian windbags and makes it difficult for others to be heard.

1 Like

A lot of those people are in the capitalist class in the US. Does the guilt-by-association tactic here have a point?

Thatā€™s one of the dumbest things Iā€™ve ever read.

Is the fact that most software engineers are men consistent with the reasoning behind this comment? How about the fact that the average American man watches 3 hours of TV a day? How about the fact that the average American man watches more TV a day than the average American woman?

10 Likes