MrWeebl's classic viral animation "Badgers" turns 20

Originally published at: MrWeebl's classic viral animation "Badgers" turns 20 | Boing Boing

10 Likes
12 Likes

And for mushrooms!!

10 Likes

Feed the mushrooms to hamsters then feed them to the snakes. Problem solved.

79Yb

18 Likes

Over a decade later I finally figured out the source of the audio for Hamster Dance, quite by accident. The “AH-HA!” could be heard throughout the block.

8 Likes

It’s a testament to its influence that for the “Save The Badger” Campaign to stop the UK badger cull not only did Weeble do a Flash Gordon inspired remake but got Brian May to do guitar and Brian Blessed to yell “Keep them alive!”.
Sadly didn’t work. But the video to Save The Badger was glorious.

16 Likes

back in my day, people sent emails, both ways, up hill.

( and crowded around each other’s computer’s saying: “what’s that? play it again!!!” and later, “please stop please.” )

11 Likes

Of course, Weebl’s videos were originally all in Flash.

19 Likes

Thanks for making me feel old, mate. The old classics. Now got “Scampi” looping in my head.

“I’ve seen things, I’ve seen them with my eyes…”

8 Likes

That one had a funny tempo skip that made it sound like every time through the loop was slightly faster.

6 Likes

Oh I vaguely remember seeing this. Brain May actually did the licks on this video? Cool.

I unironically love the original Badger Badger song.

9 Likes

In the snow, even.

Then there was Joe cartoon, which only had appeal if you like crude humor and violence.

1 Like

Do you mean the GI Joe ones?

I remember liking their surreal absurdity.

8 Likes

He even did a song to say goodbye to Flash!

turn on subtitles on that compilation, the person who did them started trying to transcribe the dialogue and just gives up about halfway through…

7 Likes

And so, the internet was born

4 Likes

This sentence may have temporarily broken my brain, son.

3 Likes
9 Likes

B3ta was great.

3 Likes

I’ve seen my share of rattlesnakes in my yard – and indeed in the threshold of my garage. There’s a local guy who volunteers to capture and relocate them. I have him on speed dial.

9 Likes

It’s possible? I was thinking more along of the lines of “frog in a blender” and “Superfly”… (this was alll the way back in 2000-2001, so take that as you will.)

3 Likes