MSG is safe enough for me

How do you know that the carbon in the CO2 didn’t originally come from a gluten molecule? If it wasn’t certified gluten free, I would assume that (per my homeopathic calculations) you could be drinking one of the most glutinous substances possible.

8 Likes

I had a friend that made mead using a very old natural fermentation method, with honey. It may have been as strong as you say, but if it was, you sure couldn’t taste it like you can in wine. Nonetheless, my point is just that naturally fermented, undistilled products (that do occur in nature, and which some animals even enjoy) are a lot less habit or problem forming…and probably good for you.

2 Likes

CBD will make you sleep a lot, is the problem. The kind of weed that makes you want to dance, rockclimb, run around, even study or program computers, etc. has very low CBD. There is huge variations within the cannabis species. By most accounts CBD is a breakdown product as well, if weed is poorly stored for over a year or two, the CBD levels get much higher. Of course, there are times you want to sleep… Back when I was a connoisseur of sorts, I regularly kept 5 or 6 varieties around for different purposes. The morning stuff, the going out stuff, the hiking stuff, the late night stuff, the coming down off of ______ stuff…lol

It’s been a few years since I smoked though. There are a lot of side effects of even the freshest, light greenest stuff…they are subtle compared to the CBD laden mexican brick weed, though!

1 Like

I wanna go to the Happy Hunting Ground when I die, too…and drink mead! :slight_smile:

I don’t think they were “experimenting” with fly agaric…they were actively using it for various purposes for thousands (millions?) of years, and they still do in some cultures. Mushrooms are more of a mind-medicine than anything for the body, I think. There have been modern day studies with various varieties that have shown incredible potential for getting people over mental problems that man-made pills and therapies cannot touch. The problem with fly agaric is that there are a lot of toxins compared to the much cleaner psilocybian types, some of which have no side effects whatsoever…you don’t even puke! This is very large and interesting topic to do some reading about, if you haven’t. Also LSD and MDMA have shown great promise, as well as some of the South American plants that historically were used for similar mental problems.

Thanks for your reply. You know, potatoes have carbs…sweet potatoes and a lot of the niche and heirloom varieties are very delicious and versatile. Also, how about other roots like tapioca…I love that stuff. In the equatorial regions there are several roots that are staple foods that you might look into.

I meant “experiment” as “an event in which experience is achieved”. Fly agaric has the active ingredients of muscimol and ibotenic acid, which agonize muscarinic acetylcholine receptors, producing hallucinations of the deleriant type, as opposed to the classic hallucinogens, which are psychedelic.

Anyway, my politics are such that I believe responsible use of hallucinogens should fall under religious freedom, as they form an important part of very long-standing cultural traditions all over the world and current enforcement regimes are reminiscent of the inquisition.

If you want to taste a unique “wild” fermented beverage, try a lambic. They are kind of expensive, but they are brewed with wild yeasts from Belgium!

3 Likes

My mother eventually got Imitrex, and while it wasn’t perfect it let her sleep and function. She didn’t describe any negative side effects as well.

Doc. Ask. Etc.

1 Like

Is the concentration of MSG in Parmesan cheese heavy? If food had concentrated stuff like that, wouldn’t people who are allergic to penicillin not be able to eat blue cheese?
I get a reaction to MSG but it’s not a headache, it’s pressure in my cheekbones. Just feels weird. Parmesan doesn’t do it as far as I know.

Yes, Parmesan cheese is heavy in the same kind of glutamates that make MSG. [quote=“Kim_Cooper, post:219, topic:75757”]
wouldn’t people who are allergic to penicillin not be able to eat blue cheese?
[/quote]
There are definitely cases of people who’re very sensitive to penicillin reacting to the penicillum mold in blue cheese.

1 Like

Maybe something in the extraction or purification process of making the MSG powder is the real culprit. Those processes are not foolproof and no one does much quality control any more.

Not to mention the chemicals possibly left in it from making it into a powder.

Remember how they used to say that chocolate was bad for acne? Then they said it wasn’t? Well, chocolate, but only cheap chocolate, does affect my acne, but it takes five days after I eat it for the effect to appear. I suspect the scientific studies aren’t prepared to connect things that take five days to appear. Or maybe it’s just me. (and since it’s only cheap chocolate, it’s not the chocolate itself obviously.)

1 Like

Look you can extrapolate from personal experience all you want. Doesn’t make it valid. Have you controlled for every cofactor or other possible cause? Including coincidence? Have you eliminated every other possible cause in that time span? Around 5 days is a long time with ample room for something else to be going on. Are you succumbing to confirmation bias? Whereby you don’t notice or don’t record the incidents that don’t fit your preconceived conclusions or expectations? Ie are you factoring in, or even recalling those times when cheap chocolate wasn’t associated with breakouts? Correlation is not causation, the two could be associated with out a causative relationship. For example breakouts could be caused by something that also drives you to eat more chocolate. Like stress for example. There are thousands of reasons you can’t draw conclusions this way. And these are also the reasons dietary studies are notably difficult and messy. There are tons of variables involved, human ones in particular.

That said a quick look shows the “science said chocolate caused acne and now it doesn’t” story isn’t so simple. There’s not a lot of decent, quickly accessible info on diet and acne. Lots of places trying to sell you stuff and noted quack venues like Dr. Oz and Huffington Post dominating search results. But from what I can tell the stock advice about chocolate and greasy foods wasn’t ever particularly well supported and was countered by research in the 1960s. More recent (past 20 years ish) and better research seems to have complicated matters. From what I could find in about 5 minutes it’s still messy and far from conclusive. But certain foods do have a reasonable ammount of support as triggers of acne. Dairy and high glycemic index foods in particular have the best support. Cheap milk chocolate certainly contains dairy, but it would seem to be a low to medium GI food. Chocolate (and a handful of others) itself would seem to be a wash, some research supports it some doesn’t. Most of the other commonly cited dietary triggers still seem to be poorly supported, and are unlikely to be associated.

So frankly your avoiding chocolate or cheap chocolate seems perfectly in line with the state of the medicine. Given that it seems just as likely to be a trigger as not, avoiding it is perfectly rational. And if it works for you? Well congrats. But unless that’s the case for at least a few thousand other people in multiple well conducted studies it can’t help clarify the maybe on chocolate.

3 Likes

The idea that it is possible to design a single useful set of dietary recommendations suitable for all human beings is inherently absurd. (I have unilaterally designated this idea the “nutritionist fallacy”.) Any such recommendations would have to be so vague as to be tautological - like, “if you don’t want to get sick from your diet, don’t eat anything that makes you sick”.

You might be able to do useful subsets of people - like, “the majority of people of primarily Navaho ancestry living within the state of Kansas who are not allergic to milk products will benefit from eating kale with vinegar” or something like that. But nutrition recommendations for every member of the human race? I think they’d be inherently not applicable to astronomical numbers of people, or else completely self-evident to anyone who survived puberty.

7 Likes

But, but, Soylent!!!

Artisinal hipster pablum :smiley:

7 Likes

Also for migraines – there was a study a number of years ago showing that 85% of people with migraines who got a face lift (forehead region) had the migraines disappear completely. So, lately, they have been offering Botox in the forehead as a treatment, and apparently it works, though temporarily (three of four months I think.)

I’ve heard about botox for cluster headaches, but I’ve got my migraines managed well enough these days that I only get them twice a year or so.

If I had the option in high school, when I was getting a migraine twice or three times a month, I would have gone for it.

Tried Immitrex, total bupkiss for me.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve seen lambic-something in the imported beer aisle here and there…from Belgium. Can you give me an actual brand or label so I can be sure?

Of course hallucinogens should be legal. They are spiritual…besides that, the idea of making any substance illegal (short of uranium maybe) is pretty stupid. Acts should be illegal when they hurt other people. If I want to go sit on top of the Matterhorn and do piles of drugs, what business is that of the government…or of anyone at all? I’d say NONE!

1 Like