MSG is safe enough for me

So, no more shopping at Lady Finger’s, the cookie and nail salon store? Not even their 2-for-1 special - French Tips and a Black & White cookie?

6 Likes

Caffeine is a migraine trigger in some, but can also stop a migraine in the early stage for some. Sometimes it does both to the same person.

I wouldn’t be super surprised if other food/chemical triggers did this too.

14 Likes

You sound very much like my wife in this respect. To the point of her saying “we have to go inside” if a neighbor’s doing laundry and the smell wafts into our yard. No scented soaps, shampoos, or perfumes allowed in the house either.

None of it bothers me, but living scent-free at home over the years has made me more cognizant of how many people and places are bathed 24/7 in an often cloying cloud of god knows what.

6 Likes

Could be a bloodpressure thing. A lot of the time, migraines are caused by low bloodpressure in the face and head, which stimulates your facial nerve to cause a migraine.

Could be the nori is raising your bloodpressure, relieving the pinching, and preventing the migraine.

That’s why they put caffeine in migraine pills.

9 Likes

I’m not that bad, but my condolences to your wife! Thats sounds rough! Us being scent free at home has made MrPants very aware of ambient scents everywhere too. It’s everywhere!

6 Likes

I got to visit backstage Disney once, and that was really nailed home. They have actual scent tubes and scent generators that pump specific scents into areas of the park! If you’re by an elephant ear stand, that smell is not coming from the elephant ears even slightly. It’s coming from a scent disperser under the cart.

And as soon as you close the door and are in backstage Disney, you get a haymaker in the face full of Horseshit and Sulfur from the fireworks. It stopped me in my tracks how abrupt the change in scent environment was.

4 Likes

Really? Is no one going to… ? Oh my god. Okay. I’ll do it

You mean you have…

#SCENTSITIVITIES.

I have a problem.

30 Likes

Wood pulp?

1 Like

How about some LSD in that pasta?

6 Likes

Cellulose.

1 Like

I was actually going to make this same point but came across yours in the comments.

People discover that some people have a sensitivity to… something… and then decide it MUST BE BAD FOR EVERYONE. It’s sad really.

5 Likes

I’ve always suspect salt. No quality, controlled study (as far as I’m aware) has ever found a firm causative relationship between msg and any of its claimed effects. And I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a plausible mechanism whereby it could do so proposed. Its to the point where Chinese restaurant syndrome/msg sensitivity are commonly cited as or used to study things like moral panics, mass histeria, somatic illness, and problems in health and science acceptance in the general public.

What there is though is a he’ll of a lot of good science connecting salt pretty much every symptoms that gets blamed on msg. And a number of serious conditions that can make you sensitive to salt level or increase the levels of salt in your body

1 Like

If you want that glutamic goodness but are trying to cut back on sodium, why not try theanine?

3 Likes

In “Burmese Looking Glass,” Edith Mirante writes of being banned from Thailand after proving that Golden Triangle opium warlord Khun Sa was not so elusive and in fact easy to find. In eastern Burma, she observed that the same mules that exported Burma’s elicit powder also imported another hard-to-come-by and untaxed white powder: MSG.

1 Like

Also if you’re worried about glutamic acid in your blood, you could always take

which combines with it to create

which is a really good thing to have in your body.

Especially copying pencil users, until they got sick.

1 Like

I’ve found that it’s not as overpowering as salt if you accidentally add too much to whatever it is your cooking. A person could pour an entire container of MSG onto a sandwich and it would still be palatable. Healthwise consuming that much may not be a good idea.

Related to your link but kind of tangential. I recall reading something about patients or elderly people that have appetite problems. It was suggested giving them foods with a good umami taste to them, and mushrooms was one of the suggested things. I’m sure one could give patients a cannabinoid compound to help with appetite as well but i’m referring to umami laden foods helping with hunger.

Disodium Inosinate is even better than MSG.

When I lived in Japan, but before I was really literate in Japanese, I once wound up salting my margarita glass with MSG salt. That was pretty fucking gross.

3 Likes