MSG is safe enough for me

One word: Umami.

I donā€™t like the taste, personally. Tastes more like some kind of sickly sweet ā€¦thing that makes me feel nauseus. Might be an association with the liquid medicine I had to take as a young kid, I kinda got sick a lot and ā€œā€œGrapeā€+bitternessā€ seemed to be the default flavor of all of them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve met a rabbi who travels through Asia doing kosher certification for this kind of thing. Some brands are available with a hechsher.

3 Likes

I agree with HansHibbety. My wife has given me food with msg without telling me and I invariably get sick. She is very careful now to check the ingredient list of everything we buy. Aldiā€™s decision to quite putting msg in all of their food is very welcome news to me. I have eaten their flavored potato chips with no adverse reaction.

A couple of months ago she brought home some food from a Chinese restaurant and I ate some of it. She had eaten there with some friends and none of them had any problems but within 15 minutes of eating the food I was feeling woozy and soon was throwing up and lying in bed with a headache. Please let any guests that you are serving your food to that you have included this additive in case they are sensitive to it.

I have a Ph.D. in chemistry and am not automatically against chemical additives. MSG is one additive that some people are sensitive to, however.

5 Likes

Ah, as a former bartender I can tell you that itā€™s the V-8, not the vodka. :wink:

2 Likes

Not everything itā€™s better with MSG. Most things are, though.

Like popcornā€¦

Mmmmm popcorn.

10 Likes

Who are you monsters making drinks with V8? Clamato dammit!

5 Likes

Every few years I try V8 again thinking that Iā€™ll finally develop a taste for it. Every few years I am wrong.

8 Likes

About the wine thing, I have found that the advice some friends have me works: make sure red wine ages three years minimum.

Also, I canā€™t prove this but I found that wine from down under seems to aggravates my sinuses and I really like their wine. So sometimes I just drink the wine, congestion be damned.

3 Likes

says youā€¦ every time i have had more than just a shot of vodka i pay for it dearly later onā€¦ gin no problem, whisky no problem, vodka oh gonna be running to the throne laterā€¦

2 Likes

That was my parentsā€™ mixer of choice!

1 Like

I sincerely feel for you because I love vodka.

maybe it was cause it was college student cheap vodka but the one time i tried straight it was the same flavor i get in my mouth from rubbing alcohol fumes. bleah.
mind you i got offered some bacon infused vodka more than a few years ago and kept it to the one shot and that was actually quite tasty.

1 Like

NOT IF I STEAL IT FIRST!Ā 

1 Like

The more itā€™s filtered, the more costly. So maybe youā€™re on to something.:relaxed:

1 Like

I can just see everyone on this thread doing their own set of experiments with Layā€™s, V-8, Clamato, red wine, and vodka.

3 Likes

Red wine and cheetos puffs are actually quite choice together. I like to eat the puffs with chopsticks.

5 Likes

Glutamate is good stuff, but you can certainly put a lot more glutamate in solution with MSG than the amount of soluble glutamate in any of those things. In soy sauce, there are all kinds of amino acids, not just glutamate, and in meat or mushrooms most of the glutamate is still part of proteins, not in solution. Thatā€™s why places that add a lot of MSG get a particular MSG flavor that you donā€™t get from any of those other things.

That said, I agree that those reactions to MSG are likely psychosomatic.

1 Like

Huh. I canā€™t use scented soaps. I donā€™t mind the smell, but I get irritated itchy skin after a few days of using anything scented. Whether itā€™s boutique natural handmade vegetable oil soap or mass produced doesnā€™t have any bearing, but the amount of scent added to it definitely has an effect.

1 Like

In other news, Dihydrogen monoxide is proven time and again, to be wet. (Under normal sea level conditions. Your milage may vary)