MSNBC's Joy Reid says anti-gay posts on her old blog were 'fabricated', Internet Archive responds

People have their deep dark thoughts they don’t like to make public often. I don’t know anything about her, but saying such a bold and far fetched lie about the old posts is really something.

7 Likes

this is a classic example of why people need to stop following outlets like MSNBC and just watch regular news like PBS Newshour instead

MSNBC rushed Joy Reid into position to replace Melissa Harris Perry after they terminated Perry for refusing to go along with their agenda to give Trump every minute of airtime during the election. Reid was obviously not background-checked well enough during her rushed promotion. Perry on the other hand was the real deal, extremely well educated and well rounded, her weekend show was fantastic at times, perhaps some of the best minutes of airtime MSNBC had, now forever lost.

btw what MSNBC has done to Rachel Maddow over the years is also a crime. Go watch her very early days before they “dolled her up” and gave her strict topics to follow, she was amazing then. Now she is just part of the circus and remade for the mainstream.

4 Likes

Words are interesting.

One thing that immediately sticks out to me is that the word “fabricated” has two distinct meanings.

It can mean to make a counterfeit in order to deceive. or it can simply mean to manufacture, to put together.

Someone who was being very careful about what they were saying (under the advice of a lawyer, perhaps), could use the word “fabricated” to imply the first meaning of the word, while still telling the truth under the second definition.

As I said, words are interesting…

3 Likes

Backing up a minute, how exactly do we know the Internet Archive is un-hackable? If there’s anything a Boing Boing reader should know is that you ought never take such things as granted.

And the thought that the entire web memory can be modified is terribly frightening.

2 Likes

But it’s so unoriginal. How about a goat ate my homework?

6 Likes

of course it’s 100% hackable, javascript loaded from another site can inject anything into a page and manipulate text at any time, from when the page was first made years ago to when it is re-viewed a decade later (this is how legit advertising also works on web pages)

but looking at the original posts, and stuff she has specifically apologized for later, in this case if she is being setup, it’s a bit too perfect

nothing is going to come from this anyway, you think MSNBC is going to fire her? never going to happen, not after her towing their agenda for them during the election

3 Likes

Its hackable but with forensics it can be determined if tampering or hacking has occurred, which it has not.

2 Likes

Sadly, it can now rival the ‘Some random black/latino person did it!’ defense in court.

Newly discovered?

The online left has been pointing to Reid’s homophobic history for years.

10 Likes

I wonder if we’ll ever reach the point where it becomes standard to take people as they are, and not how they were? With the internet-of-never-forgetting, eventually we won’t have anyone left who didn’t say or do foolish things that got recorded for all-time during their growing process.

Musing aside, I’m inclined to believe Joy Reid for now.

2 Likes

I don’t think it removes it from Wayback, just removes current access to it. That still doesn’t seem right, but at least it’s not gone for good.

2 Likes

This, because people to grow and learn as well.

To the point, I’ve got a childhood friend from a traditional Japanese family that was all sorts of weirded out by homosexuality. His best friend in high school was a very flamboyant closeted (the 90’s were certainly more restrictive than today) gay gent. Most of us knew/could tell, and every time my stupid friend said something stupidly hateful/hurtful, we’d call him on it “you know, that’s a dick thing to say, particularly considering that your best friend is super gay”. This continued into college (when his friend moved into a house with two bedrooms with two gay men, and had a charming gay “roomate”. My friend was in all sorts of denial. Finally, there was a “coming out to my friend” dinner, in which my friend and his fiancee had dinner with his friend and his roomate/fiancee… I got a panicked phone call when my friend’s little denial based world came crashing down on him. Long story short, we finally convinced him that the signs had been there forever, that nothing had changed with his friend, and that he was the one who had always been the dick. Now he had a chance to be a good friend, or double down in fear and dickishness.

He made the right choice, and I think he’s really outgrowing his traditional upbringing. I think he’s still a bit uncomfortable, but he’s definitely ashamed of how he used to think.

But… He’s also not claiming that he never said or thought the way he did, and that prior records were hacked… Owning your past is part of being able to outgrow/overcome it.

21 Likes

Not that I recommend such tactics, but if the current site goes down for some reason, the archives should become visible again.

1 Like

I don’t understand why she would make such a claim if it weren’t true, or she had a drinking problem and was forgetting stuff she’d actually written. But even the most extraordinary people do stupid things from time to time.

I know this: Hacking archived copies of someone’s work, then just leaving the altered pages there to be discovered by an innocent third party would be a devastating way to ruin an enemy’s reputation. The discovery could be left to chance, or triggered by an apparently innocent suggestion.

One thing is certain. The Wayback Machine and other archives need to pay a lot of attention to security.

1 Like

Are you sure? That seems like a bad way to have written it. I would expect them to honor the last visible robots.txt. Now, if an attacker were to alter the robots.txt…

2 Likes

It seems to me that when you attempt to access the archives, it does a current fetch of robots.txt. I should test that.

291df1

3 Likes

I do believe some people are capable of change. I am one of them, and like any programming, it takes a great deal of time and a great deal of introspection and a great deal of work, and one is never really finished.

9 Likes

Which is also more realistic. Goats will eat anything.

7 Likes

I was wondering if the Wayback Machine archives comments on the blog too? I assume that people might have commented regarding anti-gay comments even back in the dark ages of 2005.

2 Likes

approval for gay marriage

26 Likes