MSNBC's Joy Reid says anti-gay posts on her old blog were 'fabricated', Internet Archive responds

I don’t understand why she would make such a claim if it weren’t true, or she had a drinking problem and was forgetting stuff she’d actually written.

Look at how well telling blatant lies is working for the current US president. Making this kind of claim shifts the narrative from “Woman makes horrible bigotted comments” to “Woman claims she was framed for horrible bigotted comments”. It’s an improvement.

4 Likes

Blockchain.

/me drops mike

3 Likes

What does it mean when the Internet Archive folks says some of the posts were logged at different time by different sources?

2 Likes

I watch… Too much MSNBC. Not a huge Joy Ann Reid fan, but I didn’t know about her nasty bigoted past, and I find this whole thing appalling. Especially considering MSNBC’s highest ratings come from a lesbian. Internet Wayback was hacked, so someone could add posts that sound very similar in nature and tone to other posts she has taken credit for? My ass. MSNBC should do an investigation, and if the “hacking” turns out to be less than credible, they should fire her ass pronto.

1 Like

“My biology homework ate my dog, and then had to be destroyed by elements of the US Military…”

7 Likes

Pretty sure my siblings ate my homework at least once.

3 Likes

I once did, in fact, have my homework partially eaten by my dog. I brought in the chewed work sheet and got believed just fine.

5 Likes

Rachel will have the valuable perspective on this one.

1 Like

He’s also not a journalist, at work.

This is a case of better off left it alone.

These days homework is more apt to be lost because of technical problems or because of hardware issues.

I heard 2nd hand from someone in a 3D modeling class years ago that during the last week of class everyone has crunching to get their final project finished that they had worked on for the entire semester. One student had his project on an external hard drive (think it was the old iPod), and when he plugged it in the device bricked and lost everything. I don’t believe he had any backups anywhere else. The guy got up and smashed the iPod on the floor and left the classroom. Don’t know if he managed to find a backup elsewhere.

I was always taught, that when you make a mistake and finally realize it, you apologize. This would probably go better for her if she simply owned up to her mistakes, or she immediately comes forth with whatever evidence of hacking she has. To apologize in December, then come back after more stuff is found and claim hacking just doesn’t seem logical. As @Bemopolis said - “own your past”.

5 Likes

I love how “they guessed my super simple password” has come to mean “I was hacked!”

2 Likes

A very good friend of mine (who is gay) just took a job at a university here in CA. He’s a senior IT infrastructure admin working with people who are as well and they are all highly educated. Still, the other day one of the people on the team was busting someone’s chops and called this other team member a “faggot” as a dig. In 2018, at work.

I always feared something like this with the decline of print media - that with digital storage, there is a forced plausibility that yes, something could have been hacked/changed. I don’t think it was, she totally wrote the stuff, but how to conclusively verify?

Yeah, someone should like… come up with some kind of investigative field for this, right??

5 Likes

In an analogy to how they opened the super simple lock on my front door has come to mean “I was burglarized!”

8 Likes

We’d all like to claim that our current belief’s have been consistent our whole lives but we all know that’s not realistic. In the not too distant past it was perfectly mainstream and acceptable to make fun of people you don’t like for being gay.

Do I think Joy was trying to slam people for being gay? Just using it as a club to whack Crist? No clue but it doesn’t really matter. If in the past you’ve made some statement that doesn’t match up with today’s new normal then just apologize and move on.

I grew up in a time and place where “gay” or “fag” were perfectly reasonable insults for 12 yr olds to throw at one another. I “know” (believe?) that in my case when I used these terms I intended no particular animus toward LGBTQ people but was just trying to insult my friends. As far as I was aware I didn’t even know any gay people. However, as we often have to remind ourselves intent doesn’t really matter. It’s many years later and my views on what is acceptable and what isn’t have continued to evolve. In the past I have said ignorant, hurtful things to and about people and feel bad about it but I’m not going to claim I didn’t say it.

Own it, learn from it and move on.

sidenote: My wife and I tried to show the movie ‘The BirdCage’ (1996) to our daughters. We thought of this movie as a fairly light-hearted comedy that was ultimately supportive of LGBTQ people. Imagine our surprise when our kids didn’t really think it was funny. Watching it I realized that most of the humor in the movie was making fun of LGBTQ people and as the movie progressed it made them human. From our kids perspective the LGBTQ people were already human and laughing at these behaviors and jokes wasn’t really appropriate. Overall I find this kind of hopeful for society. Does it ruin a lot of old movies? Yeah, sometimes.

7 Likes

I rewatched that movie some years ago and i have a love/hate relationship with that movie. The son in that movie is completely reprehensible, he’s constantly embarrassed by his parent’s personality AND sexual identity. I really don’t care if his fiancee’s dad was a bigot. Him being a politician i can at least tolerate his opinions being an open book, the son however has no excuse.

His gay dad and his partner were very sweet with each other, and their relationship with each other is the definite highlight of the movie and i’m willing to forgive they’re kind of caricatures of gay culture, and they low-key save the movie for me. But god damn the son in that i want to defenestrate.

If you’re in the mood to tear apart an old movie that back in the day was seen as normal you should rewatch Revenge of the Nerds and be prepared to be appalled over how awful the protagonists are.

4 Likes

But when we idiomatically say “dog ate it”? It means we didn’t do the assignment, hence the excuse.

/pedantry

Is there a transcript available?

1 Like