MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle describes in 2 words why the GOP tanked (it's real simple, folks)

Meanwhile, I’m picturing Joe Biden in a three-way debate with Trump and DeSantis and Uncle Joe looks like this:

Interest Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Should Biden run in 2024??

1 Like

No, but it looks like he will. :frowning:

I hope I’m wrong. I’m so fucking tired of old white guys. At this point, I’m not sure if America is able to elect a non-white, non-guy. We’ve regressed so far. Please, please, please prove me wrong America!

6 Likes

This is going to be the “Would WWII have started if Hitler had gone to art school?” question for the next twenty years.

We don’t know whether they will from talking heads on TV, though. It was never the Republican insiders and elite that backed him in the 2016 nomination fight.

5 Likes

“And limiting access to abortion — Donald Trump delivered that”

Is she trying to rehabilitate the Republican party? Forcing you to have kids is a core Republican plank, don’t pretend that was something Donald Trump brought to the table.

That’s referring to Trump-appointed SCOTUS judges. It could be just as easily attributed to Mitch McConnell, but it was after all a rare team effort from Team Rocket.

4 Likes

Speaking of the SCOTUS, midterms are now basically over;

PACK THE FUCKING COURT, JOE!

8 Likes

Sister Act Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Further to various comments above, I’d class Trump as a symptom rather than a cause of roe vs wade. I don’t think anyone seriously thinks Trump gives a shit about reproductive rights. I would be genuinely surprised if he has never paid for anyone’s abortion. We know he cheats vareback, for one thing, and it would just fit his vibe.

Rather, as noted above, he typifies the uneasy alliance of right wing and cultural fringe interests that have led to him and so many other would-be facistic governments.

Ultimately, McConnel and the federalists would have lined up behind whatever they needed to, to achieve their goal.

1 Like

I understood the reference, but it’s weak in context. Why would (or should) dumping Trump remove the stigma of being anti-choice from the GOP?

I believe he’s expressed - unprompted - his opposition to doing so. Seems like his Senate buddies across the aisle are more real to him than some woman dying out of sight.

I think that you are misinterpreting the meaning of “delivered” here. Nobody is saying that Trump introduced the idea to begin with. He just got them over the finish line, but that’s definitely not nothing.

1 Like

Yeah, but any Republican president would have delivered that. She’s saying they should distance themselves from Trump, then gives three reasons, and one is because he’s associated with bad abortion policy. That’s just not his albatross.

If this were a Fox anchor, maybe, but it’s a big leap from her statement to “Is she trying to rehabilitate the Republican party?”

Her point seems to be that Donald Trump is a loser, and I don’t see any reason to read beyond that. But sure, we can all agree that “Actually, the Republicans are all losers.”

thanks for asking, I had the same question and wasn’t going to watch videos.

1 Like

He’s a symptom of powerlessness and he and his fellow travellers are inventors or enemies and exploiters of powerlessness.

(And thanks to @ChuckV for the video I lifted this from.)

1 Like

You’ve got it backwards. Dobbs was enabled by Trump’s packing of the court.

Let’s see how long that holds if the House ends up in GOP hands and they spend all day every day impeaching him and harassing his son. He’ll need to pack to the court to start removing insurrectionist congresspersons under the 14Asec3.

3 Likes

He’s currently the best chance we have to keep the GOP out for another 4 years at least, so yes. He absolutely should and I’m very sure he will.

I look forward to someone younger stepping up, as soon as they get the votes to do so. I don’t see how that’s likely before 2024.

Also, Biden’s racked up a pretty impressive number of wins in just the first 2 years of his first term. So as frustrated as progressives can get with him, me included, he is delivering far better than I had any right to expect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.