Multiple Allegations of Sexual Misconduct Against Ren & Stimpy John Kricfalusi

I also like SpongeBob, although it’s not like I’ve watched a ton of it. I just like how it’s obviously odd, and makes it OK to be odd. I mean there’s a squirrel who lives at the bottom of the ocean, among a million other funny weird things. Def compatible with this Happy Mutant ™!

3 Likes

Seems suspicious, but I recall from an article (Film Threat, I think) back in the '90s, that Kricfalusi didn’t want to go with Peer Gynt, but something else instead. The music was chosen by someone higher up.

2 Likes

I’ll have to look that up, but my recollection is that Kricfalusi was not happy with Nickelodeon censoring out the old man in the tub portion of the cartoon. Again, I’ll jump back into it. (At this sorry point, I’m not sure if any ‘someone else decided to do that… not me’ from Kric should be automatically accepted.)

3 Likes

It’s interesting that guys liked Kric’s stuff more than gals; same story with The Three Stooges (who Kric referenced more than once in his cartoons).

I actually adore Larry, Moe and Curly (but not Shemp.) I liked Laurel & Hardy as well…

5 Likes

The explanation for that isn’t exactly one of the great mysteries of our time.

shower

1 Like

Hmmm… but, I’m sure I saw the old man in the tub on Nickelodeon. He could have been cut in the initial airings of course.

ETA:

Nick has gone back and edited the original shows. Some, like “Visit To Anthony” and “Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen,” have had bumpers taken out for time constraints. =( “Big Baby Scam” has had its bathtub scene removed totally (mainly due to Nick’s insistance using “Hall of the Mountain King” for Grampa’s whistle; this song was used in “Dial ‘M’ For Murder” during the killing scenes apparently).

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/RenStimpy2000/rnsfaq21.txt

So, according to this, it was later runs that got cut but it was Nick’s idea to use Peer Gynt. Allegedly.

(Obviously I have too much time on my hands.)

You have EXCELLENT taste. (Shemp has always been a bit of a problem for most fans, including me.)

2 Likes

He must have whizzed on the electric fence one too many times.

1 Like

Don’t forget the latest incarnation of Mickey Mouse shorts.

2 Likes

Well. I’m glad now that I never liked John K., and always felt that he was a too-edgy blowhard asshole.

Early Ren & Stimpy are still pretty good, if very weird and occasionally off-putting.

3 Likes

Absolutely – Ren & Stimpy is easily one of the most influential cartoons of the last 30 years or so. It completely changed the face of television animation and opened the doors to dozens of cartoons and cartoonists who never would’ve gotten on the air before then. A lot of it was pretty bad (uh, Schnookums and Meat) but there’s a direct line between what John K and his collaborators did with Ren & Stimpy and everything on Adult Swim today, not to mention everything Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken have done.

That said, it’s very telling to look at Kricfaluci’s career after the one single season of Ren & Stimpy he worked on. On his own, it’s a string of failed shows that he abandoned and crap that’s just gross for the sake of being gross. Ripping Friends? Weekend Pussy Hunt? Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon (aka “what if the joke is that they’re gay and screw a lot?”) It looks like a guy with one joke he keeps recycling who nobody wants to work with.

6 Likes

Plus any show which keeps Clancy Brown employed is alright by me.

MrkarbsHD

kurgan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.