ā€œYou Are The Oneā€

If youā€™re filled with affection youā€™re too shy to convey,
meditate in my direction.
Feel your way.

ā€“ ancient Buddhist text

ā€œGet the gimp.ā€
ā€œHeā€™s sleeping.ā€
ā€œWell, wake him up!ā€

Behold - the fascinating me-shaped hole in the universe!

1 Like

I think this is just a translation error. Tukdam means ā€œto be dead while in the meditating positionā€, doesnā€™t it?

That is, being dead is a necessary prerequisite. Heā€™s not ā€œnot dead, only meditatingā€, heā€™s dead by definition but also, and this is the thing thatā€™s noteworthy, dead and mummified in the position he had in death, which was meditating. Tukdam.

5 Likes

John, Iā€™m only trancing.

5 Likes

Well, in Tibetan terms, if he hasnā€™t achieved the transcendent body of heavenly light by now, heā€™s probably not going to. But it wouldnā€™t hurt to sprinkle some saffron on him and stick him back in an unused cave or monastery cupboard for another 300 years, just in case heā€™s a bit slow on the job.

3 Likes

The good news is that he has a pretty good shot of keeping up his deep meditation.

1 Like

Kidding aside, this reminds me of a fascinating thing I never got a chance to see in Japan:

2 Likes

Darn it, I wanted to say thatā€¦ :smile:

Came for this, left satisfied :slight_smile:

1 Like

His enlightened aura just induced in me a sudden inexplicable craving for beef jerky.

Barry Kerzin. Barry!?

As I understand it, a monk in tukdam isnā€™t considered alive, exactly, just not quite dead. Itā€™s more like the physical body has stopped working, but the spirit is still present enough to prevent some decay. At least according to this, youā€™re not supposed to touch someone in that state or make noise around them, which likely precludes running medical tests on people supposedly in this state.

Damn. How did I miss the juxtaposition of the headline with the photo?

ā€œMummified monk not dead, just trancingā€