Scan of 1,000-year-old statue with mummy hidden inside

[Permalink]

Might it be said, then, that this artifact is a mummy, not a statue?

2 Likes

7 Likes

This is overstated. They already knew there was a mummy inside before it was scanned. It’s still pretty cool, but it’s not like it was a huge surprise.

2 Likes

Where, exactly? Which statement? Who claimed it was a surprise?

2 Likes

© Jason Freeny

I wonder if there is one in my–GAAAH!!!

12 Likes

So you can take it with you!

4 Likes

He’s just meditating.

2 Likes

Pfft that’s not Liuquan. It looks nothing like him. It’s obviously some other guy.

2 Likes

Boingboing’s description doesn’t out and say it but it gives the impression that this is a new discovery: “A CT scan of a 1,000-year-old statue of Chinese Buddhist master master Liuquan revealed the mummy inside.” (emphasis mine)

Other “sources” are reporting this more hyperbolically, e.g. “Scientists shocked after CT scan of 1,000-year-old Buddha statue reveal mummified remains of meditating monk”

2 Likes

Oh, so ‘other sources’ plus the parts you imagined
 are the responsibility of a third party?

Hope that works out for you.

You get really, really belligerent when anyone says anything that could be remotely interpreted as critical of a BoingBoing post. What’s up with that?

3 Likes

@pimlottc isn’t making this up. The link I saw from friends sharing on Facebook was titled “CT Scan of 1,000-Year-Old Buddha Statue Reveals Mummified Monk Hidden Inside” and the first sentence, which FB excerpted, reads “What looks like a traditional statue of Buddha dating back to the 11th or 12th century was recently revealed to be quite a bit more.”

It wasn’t until you clicked through that you could read that the info was known before. “Hidden” and “revealed” suggest something that was suddenly discovered.

2 Likes

I can’t believe they didn’t lead off with, “You won’t believe
”

3 Likes

I think the Guinness World Records winner of hide-and-seek is now known.

7 Likes

Now this. I’d buy one irregardless of how many whuffies David skimmed off the top.

I didn’t!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.