Ancient tomb replaced by picnic table

[Read the post]

1 Like

Reading the somewhat readable English translation of the original article, it kinda looks like the ancient tomb is underneath those removed stones, not the stones themselves, altho I’d think that the stones are likely part of it.

I’d move the picnic site.

1 Like

On the bright side, our neolithic ancestors probably would have considered this concrete picnic table a very snazzy grave-marker.

13 Likes

Even if they didn’t know what it was, why place the picnic table on the ONE SPOT covered in huge stones? Wouldn’t it have been easier to put it elsewhere anyway?

19 Likes

I’m torn. I despise destruction of ancient things, yet I have a personal belief that tombs are just an attempt for once living people to try to hold a place in the world for long after they were meant to and it’s basically just a corpse squatting. Sure a couple of corpses are doing it - no big deal. But a few millenia go by all of a sudden you can’t even put up a bench without upsetting the wishes of some poor long liquified ancient bastard. Now there are relatively speaking fewer ancient ones so for uniqueness sake and study I don’t think they should just get knocked over without documentation of their ‘content’, but I don’t think any old random grave is so special necessarily. Especially if its one in some random space away from other graves, just spreading out dead bodies in the ground everywhere that people can’t utilize land over is pollution in a way - extrapolate and eventually the whole world would will be one big graveyard. Cremate yourselves people! Its what Anakin would do.

5 Likes

Once again government officials are putting the public at risk of haunted potato salad.

16 Likes

You’ve been Huffing Boing Boing :wink:

6 Likes

Jack Vance, in his series “The Dying Earth” proposed a culture that had come to exactly the realization you suggest. That is, that humans had been around so long that every place on earth was over a grave.

Their reaction was to live in the trees and never set foot on the ground, unless they were wearing specially sanctified sandals, and had received a blessing from one of their priests that permitted travel overland.

10 Likes

The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on.

1 Like

Well, those stones were a dolmen, it´s not the tomb itself what is important, the stones are.

It’s like razing the entire Taj Mahal, leaving just the coffin, to make place for a skatepark.

Or taking away the top half of the Giza pyramid to make space for a Pizza Hut.

Or levelling Stonehenge to make a modernist roundabout.

10 Likes

I agree with your points, except the “cremate yourself” part.
It’s a filthy, polluting, energy-hungry waste of fuel, and only serves as a great big “fuck you” to the planet and to those organisms you’ve fed on all your life, denying other organisms the chance to feed in return.
Put in a hole, in an easily degradable box with a tree planted on top would be the best way to re-green the planet, and turn cemeteries into forests and woodlands that everybody could enjoy.

7 Likes

If you are a programmer, it’s the choice.
You fight bugs for all your life, then you die - and they should get the last win?

9 Likes

Well, I agree that’d be pretty silly. There’s already one right next door!

13 Likes

This is nothing compared to what ISIL does when it wants to build a picnic table.

4 Likes

Has anyone pointed out to the council the tomb stones themselves make a serviceable picnic table.

5 Likes

I keep threatening my family that i’m going to have “do not embalm or cremate” tattooed on the insides of my elbows, instead of just buying a custom medical alert bracelet.

@dave_b, I’ll bet that’s exactly why they installed this - an “improvement” (insert eyeroll here) over that messy organic site people kept having picnics on.

4 Likes

That’s reasonable.

1 Like

The first mistake is to fight the bugs. Bugs are merely another expression of code.

4 Likes

Seems to me that as soon as an archeological discovery is made a plaque should be put up. It doesn’t need to read anymore more than “history here, please take care.”

3 Likes

If the bugs you’re fighting all your life keep you in employment, then it sounds more like a feature.
Akin to gut-flora, it’s a symbiotic relationship. No-one wins, they’ll get their turn in time.

4 Likes