Muppets from Space's "Brick House"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/08/muppets-from-spaces-brick.html

6 Likes

The soundtrack to this movie was awesome.

Funkalicious.

6 Likes

I was torn about using the Celebration video, but felt it gives away the payoff.

1 Like

Muppets From Space is one of the better Muppet movies, IMO. The soundtrack was a surprising and welcome bonus.

6 Likes

Agreed. I think people just assumed the Muppets were in decline in this era, but I think they were at their creative peak in many ways; definitely since Jim Henson passed. Muppet Christmas Carol is my all-time favorite version of that tale.

11 Likes

Even the bad muppets movies and episodes are filled with subversive jokes that go wayyyy over kid’s heads.

My favorite example was their take on, “In the Navy”.

8 Likes

I’m so glad other people agree with me about how this movie is a real gem. It’s a shame that Disney eventually decided it was necessary to “reboot” the Muppets, i.e. get rid of Brian Henson and whatever else was remaining of Jim Henson’s spirit and vision.

5 Likes

I have a friend who was a puppeteer on this movie. He still gets a little residual check for it every now and again.

7 Likes

Our “Muppet Christmas Carol” DVD gets a watch every Christmas in our household. I got a friend to edit in “The Love Is Gone” sequence (it’s only in the cropped version) into the widescreen version, where it had been edited out. They really need to release a proper theatrical cut of this film on Blu-ray.

6 Likes

I watched that episode as it aired. A viking ship.
“We want you!
We want you!
We want you for the viking crew!”
And the subversion did go over my head, because I don’t remember that. But I get that it was a Village People tune, so I can guess what I missed.

7 Likes

Oh yeah. I was a kid when I saw it.

Then I grew up and learned what the Village People schtick was all about.

Then, long after I had forgotten about the viking skit, I rewatched it and… =0

Some of Gonzo’s lines are super messed up as well, even going back to the pilot episode.

7 Likes

The Muppets film had that great tribute/lament to Jim Henson “Pictures in My Head” (I dare anyone born before 1980 to keep a dry eye after that song!) and Dave Grohl as a knockoff muppet. So I can’t ever be too harsh on it.

The Muppets TV show had one the most Muppetest sequence we have seen in a long time. Where Gonzo gets his daredevil groove back to the tune of “Learning to Fly” (again Dave Grohl plays a key part there). So even though it was a misbegotten mess which was tonally all wrong, it had a tiny bit that was decent.

Still I have one rule I stick to. Anyone who has acted with Muppets is automatically cool. There are no exceptions.

8 Likes

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

A Muppet Christmas Carol is one of my favorite Holiday films. Its messages and music are so true…

2 Likes

Three Whiskey Doubles / Mega Bong Hit / 1 Tramadol. Made the movie a hit with me.

2 Likes
3 Likes

More cowbell!

1 Like

I grew up with in a time when Lionel Richie’s solo career was on the radio a lot, so it’s still a bit shocking to me every time I remember that he was one of the founding members of The Commodores.

3 Likes

If you really want to cry at the Muppets, watch Big Bird sing at Jim Henson’s funeral. Damn, I’m tearing up now and I haven’t even watched it yet…

1 Like

Why on God’s Green Earth do I really want to do that??? :frowning: