'MURDER' — Aaron Dean, former Fort Worth TX police officer, charged with murder for fatal shooting of black woman

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/14/fort-worth-cop-charged-with-mu.html

15 Likes

I’m very surprised. Completely agree that killing someone minding their own business in their own home is murder, just really surprised.
Is Dallas-Ft. Worth really going to be the place that starts police reform?

42 Likes

You’re not the only one.

Also…
Good%2C%20Grumpy%20Cat
Now here’s hoping for a conviction.

42 Likes

I’m right there with you. I was just thinking that I really do not understand what has changed, but I’ll take it.

Texas is showing surprising signs of sanity. Now if only my family would drift in that direction…

22 Likes

Yeah, we will see. The blues and the judiciary have a predictable way of circling the wagons and shifting blame. It’ll take over a year and most likely will end in acquittal or at the most, manslaughter. And meanwhile, dozens more POC will be murdered in their homes or summarily executed in the streets. Not to mention dozens more mass shootings that year. Nothing has changed in this damned country and it makes me sad, frustrated and, honestly a slight bit hopeful for the future, because just about any plausible reality different than this one would be a vast improvement. Racist fascist pigs suck diarrhea. May they be stomped by a giant foot from the sky.

17 Likes

Perhaps only as long as a videos capture cops shooting innocent people in their own homes a second after telling them to put their hands up. And even then… who knows.

14 Likes

It’s like Mr. Dean no longer trusts his fellow murderers in Blue to cover his ass? Just thinking out loud…

13 Likes

A whole different story sans body-cam. (It’s mind-boggling to think of the likely number of cops who got away with murder before body-cams, cell phones, and security-cams.)

19 Likes

Well, they still pretty much do. The Botham Jean case is the only murder conviction I can think of.

9 Likes

Fuck
This
Shit

This is more egregious than the Guyger/Jean murder. Non emergency line was called for a welfare check, and did the complete fucking opposite.

23 Likes

You know what? If DFW leads the way, so be it. As a nation, change has to start somewhere.

26 Likes

Have we jumped timelines? Seriously, I am shocked. Not just that he was arrested and charged, but that it happened so quickly. In the Jean case it seemed like forever before they charged her. Of course, not shooting innocent people would be much much better, but I guess I’ll take it.

23 Likes

He’ll die in prison…

2 Likes

Yet the police independent investigation will still find no wrongdoing.

6 Likes

like it would’ve been OK to shoot her if he said the magic word first

27 Likes

I’m wondering how long until we hear from the International Union of Police Associations complaining about how unfairly Mr. Dean is being treated.

10 Likes

Not if the local news has any say. They have been continuously implying she was holding / brandishing / displaying / pointing / looking at / owned / whatever a firearm. As if doing any of those things (with a video game controller) inside her home justifies a violent asshole sneaking up to a window then shooting her.

At this point in history they are not the significant problem. The idiots at the local news outlets are.

Just a thought. Was it too much trouble to just call the homeowner? Are the Fort Worth police so fucking stupid they’re incapable of dialing a phone?

17 Likes

In their eyes, it would have been.

That’s the heinous reality of it all.

24 Likes

It speaks volumes that we’re surprised he’s getting charged, after a blatantly unjustified shooting was captured on camera. The bar for accountability is so low, it’s buried deep underground.

What’s interesting here is that was the immediate reaction of the police, who then backed off of it. Perhaps realizing that there was no way to present what happened in a way that could remotely seem like the cop acted reasonably (even when looking at the situation with fairly racist eyes). Though I’m sure the cop in question will get all sorts of benefits as time goes on.

As always; in equally unjustified shootings, many of which will also be caught on video, yet for some reason won’t create the same kind of public outcry.

Part of me wonders if the cop is being treated more harshly here because he shot a silhouette at a window, where it was possible she was white. Like, if only he had clearly seen she was black, more people would have viewed the shooting as justified…

It is a different story with body cams - but a big part of that is being able to see all the cops who are still getting away with murder. Previously we never would have even known it was murder - a story of justifiable homicide would have been accepted by the (white, anyways) public because there would only be a live cop to tell their side, and they’d make up whatever story suited them best. Now we sometimes get to see that what they’re saying is untrue (and they’re still getting away with it).

19 Likes

better keep our landlines paid up, who knows what will happen if we don’t answer that special call

8 Likes