Murder charge for shopkeeper who falsely accused boy of shoplifting and shot him dead

Originally published at: Murder charge for shopkeeper who falsely accused boy of shoplifting and shot him dead | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“Even if he had shoplifted four bottles of water, which is what he initially took out the cooler and then he put them back, even if he had done that, that’s not something you shoot anybody over, much less a 14-year-old,” Lott said. “You just don’t do that.”

6 Likes

It’s very upsetting to see that a kid was killed over nothing

This has been a fear of mine since forever. Particularly whenever i would go into a store with a backpack, i would either go out of my way to have customer service hold my bag or browse in a way that made it obvious that i wasn’t shoplifting. As a minority having to worry and think about these things when going about your day is exhausting. Thankfully i’ve never been harassed by loss prevention or store owners but i have been followed when i wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary.

18 Likes

Logically if you would shoot some one over a bottle of water you should shoot yourself first as you are the bigger threat.

16 Likes

To gun owners taking property is worse than taking a life.

8 Likes

To them, life is cheaper to replace than property. I mean they seriously believe that.

4 Likes

I’ll save the ammosexuals some effort:

Pay no attention to the easy availability of firearms in the U.S.!!

[/s]

9 Likes

" even if he had done that, that’s not something you shoot anybody over,"

Conservatives would disagree.

4 Likes

The incentive must go further; given that, unless you are getting really screwed by your wholesaler or finding aggressively good deals on ammunition(and employing it accurately), you’d be hard pressed to keep the shooting-someone-to-death budget under the cost of four water bottles; even if you do it outside to externalize cleanup costs.

1 Like

I’m surprised no one has shown up here to disagree. Something something urges something men something guard and protect something… Men can’t control their basest urges and shouldn’t be expected to, they are less civilized than dogs are… But said in a way that tries to sound sympathetic to impulsive murderers.

Honestly I’m surprised it’s taken this long. Wonder if it has to do with the murderer’s race or something…

3 Likes

“Nah, cost doesn’t matter. I demand insurance cover my fuckup.” Probably how the train of thought goes. Also, those people are not likely to read the insurance coverage on the contract either. They’re pretty specific about what they do and do not cover.

that’s not something you shoot anybody over, much less a 14-year-old," Lott said.

“There are however,” he continued, “plenty of things to shoot somebody over. And if they’re over 16 (18 in some states) you can shoot pretty much anybody over pretty much anything. That’s what makes our country great.”

2 Likes

Good. Very good. Thanks for posting this on Boingboing.net @beschizza

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.