Music video features trash-talking UN smackdown

I made the same point and I got a dismissive reply from you (“tautology is tautology, eh”, as if I’m some simpering moron). On top of that, I said nothing rude to you, while @toyg actually kind of did.

4 Likes

Hmmmm, I wonder just what that substantial difference could be

3 Likes

Nah… couldn’t be that. :wink:

2 Likes

why would it be a lie?

You’re not going to get anywhere by asking me to do your work for you.

1 Like

It wasn’t my intent to be rude. I should have said: “le ciel est bleu, la mer est verte”, then.

Or would have “Yeah, that’s obvious” been rude as well?

Yeah, that’s not sexist against all men, is it?

It came off as rude. Maybe a hint that your not being dismissive would help next time? You could have said, that you agree or some such, perhaps.

I’m happy you didn’t mean to be rude at least.

1 Like

Not really… It doesn’t assume that all men act that way, just that most women experience that very thing.

7 Likes

Hoo boy…

Ahem: pointing out that a lot of men often do a particular something to women is not at all the same thing as saying that all men do that particular something.

4 Likes

Why do people always keeping digging like they’re gonna strike gold?

All you’re gonna find is more dirt.

5 Likes

My work? As a mind reader? I have no idea why you would think that I might think that that image represents a lie, so you really should back it up or retract it.

That’s not what I think. What I said was a question, asking what you think.

1 Like

The fact that you asked it implies that you think I might think so, why bring it up at all otherwise?

Because seeing you work pretty hard to discredit one iconic image from the anti-racism canon made me wonder if you’d be inclined to do the same with another.

So, you implied (Ok, ok, “stated outright”) that the reason I was ‘dismissive’ of her reply was cuz, y’know, I’m male and I was replying to a woman, and everyone knows, all men do this.

How is that not sexist?

For the record: the reason I said “Tautology is a tautology” is that the statement “Something has an effect somewhere” IS a tautology - “a statement that is true by necessity or by virtue of its logical form”.

I realize that you’re not going to believe me - 'cuz, y’know, it’s a man saying it - but I hadn’t noticed at the time of my reply that the person I was replying to was a woman.

1 Like

And once again, your response to @toyg was much more respectful.

[ETA] Did my name and avatar not give my gender away? And my years here and not ever hiding my gender?

2 Likes

Well you’re obviously wrong to think that, because a) the fact that it’s an iconic image from the anti-racism canon has no relevance to anything, and b) I wasn’t working very hard to discredit anything, unless you think “working pretty hard” is copying and pasting some text from wikipedia, about something I had never heard about before, to highlight an interesting fact about said thing? (Are you disputing the facts about that btw? Or are they just not relevant because they were in the service of a just cause?)

1 Like

As I said before, I don’t think all men do that. Sheesh, it’s almost like you have trouble hearing what certain people have to say.

3 Likes