Music video: The Styx' 1983 hit 'Mr. Roboto'

This song is why we named our robot vacuum cleaner “Roberto”.

“Domo arigato, Mr. …”

3 Likes

I could happily wait another 20 years before being reminded of that again.

4 Likes

A view from the Wirral.

3 Likes

I see your Mr. Roboto and raise you Major Tom.

7 Likes

I always liked that song. I like the beginning to Renegade a whole lot too.

1 Like

Both Paradise Theater and Kilroy was Here are excellent concept albums.
Kilroy Was Here vinyl has extensive liner notes with photos/stills of the plot, character histories and backstories of each role.

James Young played the religious leader Dr. Everett Righteous, leader of the Majority for Music Morality which outlawed Rock Music (Thanks Tipper Gore!). Two members play characters named Hyde and Vanish (symbolism!). Co-lead singer Shaw plays Jonathan Chance who gathers the messages left in the music to save rock and roll.

There is a whole Wiki about the album and even the NY Times did a big story surrounding the album and the issues behind the banning of explicit lyrics and the rise of the Moral Majority, etc.

As you can tell, big fan…

6 Likes

A much better song. More gravitas less fromage

5 Likes

I always thought it was some weird, futuristic, Buddha-thing.

3 Likes

Earl and Randy give it their approval as well.

1 Like

Snowblind started it all. Played backwards they speak of Satan. Heavy Metal Poisoning did have backwards masking intentionally as a shot at the whole Tipper Gore thing.

Here’s an article from 1983, I’m sure you know all this but it’s fun to relive it.

On a side note, I had the Paradise Theater album, it had a really cool laer etching on one side of the vinyl. My sister stole it when she moved out. I want it back.

“SERIOUS ISSUES UNDERLIE A NEW ALBUM FROM STYX - The New York Times” SERIOUS ISSUES UNDERLIE A NEW ALBUM FROM STYX - The New York Times

2 Likes

I’m seriously thinking of having Come Sail Away be played at my funeral. Most all of it makes sense in that context. Except…

That just ruined it for me.

Yep, that was my first concert, Styx at the Oakland Coliseum, after a day at the beach in Santa Cruz. It’s quite the memory from youth.

2 Likes

I’ve spent many a day at Santa Cruz myself. No kids of my own, but went with my brother and his family a few years ago and the nephews loved it, too. Even the Giant Dipper is getting to be a bit much for me at my age, unfortunately.

I would have loved to have seen Styx and other '80s bands in their heydays. Alas, my parents exiled us to Idaho in the late '70s and it wasn’t until the '90s that good bands started to visit.

1 Like

You haven’t heard this until you’ve heard hot breakfast perform it. Check the YouTubes.

1 Like

For context, this was 38 years ago, back when the Japanese were experiencing an economic boom and buying lots of US property and scaring the Americans. It also predates the popularity of anime, and similarly problematic Warner Bros. cartoons were playing on broadcast TV at the time. We’ve come a ways since then.

3 Likes

Back then the only anime I saw were Americanized repackaged ones: Robotech, Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets. Incidentally they were also the only cartoons outside of Johnny Quest where people got killed onscreen.

3 Likes

Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers first aired in 1978. At the time, people didn’t really recognize them as anime, but were wondering how people were “not-dying” but dying in those shows, but not in the other sanitized cartoons. Robotech didn’t air until 1985, and this was about the time the first inklings of anime fandom started in the US (gathering together to watch snowy 6th-gen VHS tapes gotten from a friend of a friend who had a friend in Japan).

There’s an interesting link between Johnny Quest and Battle of the Planets. Sandy Frank, who distributed the show, brought in a lot of talent from Hanna-Barbera to do the voice work, the soundtrack, and even the character design for 7-Zark-7 (Alex Toth).

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m almost 55.

Still doesn’t justify “then”.

1 Like

I forgot the best cover ever. I can’t wait till safe live shows come back. Puddles is one of the best shows you’ll ever see and he’s a great guy. He hangs out after the show to meet and greet anyone that wants an autograph or photo.

Never said it did, but we can’t go back in time to fix the cringe; only acknowledge it now.

(Funny/sad related CSB: When I told my friends back in the '80s that I was moving to Japan, and the questions I got were incredibly ignorant, like I was going to live off fish heads and rice, and they didn’t have roads in Japan.)

1 Like

Damn, what a voice.

Nice to hear it sung in tune, too, unlike the original.