Musk promised a taxi, delivered laughs

… oh look, it’s “hyperloop”

10 Likes

Waymo is making some serious progress. The rollout is slow, but steady. They are being careful about it. Here’s a good comparison of the two companies approaches.

ETA- Timothy Lee has a short article describing last night’s event. He’s too polite and journalistic to say it outright, but he’s strongly implying that everything last night was crap.

His is a good substack to read if you are interested in the self-driving car industry.

ETA2- Apologies…the link above might be paywalled.

10 Likes

Did Lucas Industries threaten to sue EM if he repurposed a cybertruck?

Or was he afraid that if people were faced with a choice between Lucas and Tesla, most would pick Lucas even when they know the reputation?

12 Likes

I have never heard of Lucas Industries before :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

The original Prince of Darkness.

8 Likes

Think of Lucas Industries as the UK equivalent of ACDelco. (US manufacturer of OEM/after-market automotive electrics/electronics.)

7 Likes

exactly what i think of.
mum’s '57 MGA (morris garage) had Lucas plugs, points, filters, etc.
i loved that POS car!

7 Likes

Mum has owned several MGs in her lifetime, hence that is also why I am familiar with Lucas parts.

One day she came back from an (unnamed) high performance driving school and wanted to show me everything she learned in that class; I was utterly car sick from that demonstration.

8 Likes

I just know them by the reputation of their wiring harnesses, which apparently tended to accidentally release the factory-installed smoke. But you could order replacement smoke, so it was all good.

17 Likes

The fact he refuses to use the amount of sensors you see on a Waymo car would freak me out. And he’s be lying about being able to achieve level 5 self-driving for years: Tesla’s Claim That its Cars Are Self Driving May Cross the Line From Permitted ‘Puffery’ to False Advertising | Observer

10 Likes

You know there is a cheaper and safer alternative to fleets of self driving vehicles. We call it mass transit.

23 Likes

Tesla has wasted so many opportunities, it is still a significant player in the electric car business but the trajectory is heading in the wrong direction.

Elon stepping back and letting someone who knows what they are doing could steady the ship, but how then would he convince the shareholders to give him that ridiculous pay packet?

11 Likes

And I use it every day. But on the occasions when I need to drive to a specific place at a specific time, a self-driving car (a real one) would be very nice. Bus systems are great for getting to anything that happens to be right near their route, if you have 30 to 45 minutes of leeway (or even more, if the bus happens to be late or full). Every other instance, not so much.

5 Likes

Imagine that thing driving on a city street, with potholes and hills and dips and construction areas, and… well, city streets. (We can’t, because it couldn’t.)

“Wow, look at this cool new design for revolutionary transportation that would require completely new infrastructure to work!”
“Oh, it’s a train?”
“No, it’s a car - but it combines the drawbacks of cars and trains!”

10 Likes

… unfortunately it is legal for rich people to lie

7 Likes

man talking GIF by South Park

4 Likes

19 Likes
9 Likes

More Brazil than Bladerunner

13 Likes

and -as far as I know- most experts in the field saying true level 5 fsd is actually impossible to achieve.

5 Likes