Musk promised a taxi, delivered laughs

If you’re experiencing air sickness in a car having to upchuck is the least of your problems.

8 Likes

so his “vision” is a rather silly 22 year old movie with upscaled carrera-racer-toys;

cars2

jahjahjah, but

it will be a glourious future

(he actually said that)

5 Likes

People manage to travel facing the back in coaches, trains, cars and aircraft without travel sickness.

2 Likes

Some people do and some people don’t.
Designing a form of transport that is intended for general use should consider this.
Especially when one of the selling points is “This will drive you home when you’re drunk!”

7 Likes

… that doesn’t seem like a serious concern compared to collision survivability :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A large part of understanding his mindset is acknowledging that he’s channeling his bigoted and reactionary grandpa.

4 Likes

Of course, I can do that, too, if you like the Exorcist, live-action version.

3 Likes

Also, one of the few areas where self-driving cars have real transformative potential to improve lives is “providing independence to people who are unable to drive themselves due to age or disability.”

This form-factor is actively hostile to people who have any kind of mobility issues.

8 Likes

So engineers should be in charge, but in the meantime he’ll settle for the world’s dumbest reality TV star? :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

As with the Xtianists and the Federalist Society, the billionaire techbros see von Clownstick and his MAGA movement as an imperfect means to their own “glorious” ends. They don’t understand the power of a populist personality cult and foolishly believe that the cultists will immediately follow them the minute the charismatic leader is out of the picture. That’s in large part because they don’t study history.

10 Likes

Honestly, I think what is more likely is that they don’t care. Musk might channel the technocrats because he’s trying to sound smart, and he think that is, but in the end it’s as much a show as his any-year-now robots. His real principles are hoarding money and white supremacy, and anything else is subject to change on a whim.

7 Likes

Does that thing have a trunk or other space for people bringing home shopping like groceries, or taking along a walker? (Not that I’d trust the car not to take off before the trunk could be emptied.)

3 Likes

19 Likes

windows help. i wouldn’t think screens would provide the parallax to understand movement.

that said, ive never been on a plane facing backwards. ( though planes, like trains, and distinctly unlike cars, mainly travel in one direction with relatively smooth changes in acceleration; so maybe it’d work for them? )

3 Likes

I’ve rarely been on a train that experienced turbulence.

3 Likes

Even if it does have storage in the back, it’s hard to imagine someone who needs a walker or a cane to get around lowering themselves into that low-slung seat without so much as a door handle or a grab bar to hold onto.

get-in

7 Likes

exactly.

since planes do, that’s probably the reason passenger planes have only front facing seats.

cars oto have “turbulence” in the form of pot holes, bumper to bumper start and stop traffic, sharp turns, and on. i’m pretty sure i’d get motion sickness sitting sideways or backwards. plus not having actual windows? no fun at all

2 Likes

Mercedes, Volvo (& Tesla) have relatively recently sold cars with rear-facing 3rd rows of seats. If they cause travel sickness it is more because of position relative to the suspension than facing the rear. I think I can accept the lack of windows being a problem, but if they had screens that might compensate, especially if they maintained position with the true horizon.

2 Likes

2 Likes

“We learn from history that we don’t learn from history.” - Hegel, sort of

3 Likes