Musk's latest edict stinks of desperation

There are Twitter employees in other places too. Several hundred in UK.

21 Likes

Hmmm, that explains a lot

13 Likes

At one point with El Turkey, I started Bccing some of the more redonkulous things he was trying to pull to my personal email address so I would have a paper trail. Or the CIO (his direct report), especially if they were things I knew would damage the company (like applying disruptive changes to servers that ran the production floor in the middle of the busiest time of the month, changes which were not needed because that feature was deprecated two versions back in the hypervisor…)

THIS: when [ISP] was doing it’s reduction in force, they offered voluntary first, then the layoffs started a month or two afterwards.

And we already know from the AAA Games industry that operating entirely in Crunch mode is extremely toxic to the staff that’s forced to do it. Most Ops / SRE, while accepting of an on-call rotation, will actively balk at being forced into Crunch or saddled with permanent on-call, even with a pay raise. (hence the “can’t pay me enough” comment I made earlier- People Need Down Time and time away from the rock face.)

30 Likes

And there is no reason to believe that those people will be distributed evenly. There is a good chance that whole teams will just evaporate.

27 Likes

Which is always the result of bad management. It’s at least somewhat justifiable if there’s a plan, but I don’t think he EVER has a plan, so it’s not even remotely reasonable here.

I hope you’re wrong. I want to see 100%. I doubt it will be (what’s the proportion of H1-B?), but I can dream.

11 Likes

Yep, they have an office in Canada as well, where those monstrous policies do not apply. Not sure if Musk sent this to every single employee, or just the US-based ones?

He’s closing the Canadian office, so that was his solution to that.

30 Likes

I still don’t think he’s destroying his $45B purchase on purpose as part of some evil master plan but it sure as hell feels that way. Guess he’s just a chaos agent kinda guy.

19 Likes

If that happens the company will fail and Musk will whinge that it happened because “people are lazy and don’t want to work anymore”.

23 Likes

Passed my limit, as well. I’ve been coding for 40 years now and have had 3. One per decade is even too much.

20 Likes

I don’t remember where, but I’m sure I read a news article or heard a news story about this. Might have been about a lawsuit surrounding the layoffs. Apparently, prior to the purchase Twitter had a severance and layoff policy. As part of the purchase agreement, it included continuing to use that existing policy. I think the story was about someone laid off suing for breaking that part of the purchase contract by being laid off not following the existing policy.

This severance sounds like what the story described.

As everyone else pointed out, in any voluntary process offering severance, all the best people who will find new jobs the fastest are likely to volunteer first. Leaving the company with short timers ready to retire soon and people who question their ability to find new jobs.

13 Likes

A friend of mine on an H1-B said it probably won’t be 100% because having to leave the country and moving back home during christmas, then getting a new job is awful during this time of the year, so some might just hold on and stick it out because they and their family can’t stay in the country without the work visa.

16 Likes

George Orwell’s “Animal Farm”…

25 Likes

I remember when being described as an industry disruptor was considered a good thing.

6 Likes

The-Office-Parkour

16 Likes

You very succinctly described why I emigrated to Germany. I could not even consider returning to work in the USA any more.

19 Likes

Awww, man! I want to get paid for three months for quitting Twitter!
Maybe we could start a Twitter poll to pressure him into it.

11 Likes

Hardcore? I’d pay $8 to see Musk try to Melbourne Shuffle.

7 Likes

In the US if you lay off more than a certain number/percentage of your workforce at one time, you’re required to give them severance. I don’t know if it is a specific amount, but I got 3 months when I had it happen to me long ago.

9 Likes

Take the cash now or stay & get run into the dirt by a sociopathic boss and risk getting fired later with no severance, or out of a job when this tent folds?

Not a tough question.

28 Likes

Some lawsuits were filed the day of the first layoffs. California has a specific law covering this as well. The NLRB should be all up in his business any day now.

14 Likes