Muslim flight attendant says she was suspended for refusing to serve alcohol

Yeah, Catholics won’t even let non-Catholics participate in the Holy Eucharist during mass. Maybe Pope Frank will change this?

2 Likes

What’s next, baptists strippers who refuse to bare their breasts?

3 Likes

Maybe I’m a Thelemite and my religion states “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.” I only do what I want to and they have to pay me? Sign me up!

1 Like

Pretty much. And seriously, any legal test of the sincerity of your religious beliefs start to fall afoul of the first amendment pretty damn quick, as far as I’m concerned.

Don’t inhibit free expression, but it pisses me right the fuck off that religious organizations get special leniency and favoritism from the government, to the point that churches are sending in “pulpit freedom sunday” videos to the IRS showing them unequivocally breaking the law. Yet the IRS does nothing. Because anyone with the authority to kick off anything in the IRS is a career politician and therefore almost certainly a manipulative coward.

1 Like

She cant be a stewartess if she aint flying Sharia Areolines. And she knows/knew that. The decent Muslim would acknowledge the problem and quit their job and find a vocation more suited to their fiction.

2 Likes

I almost clicked, then I saw it was Debbie Scheussel and thought better of it…

Actually, some probably would and some (especially hardcore vegans) would object. Same as with the story that @SummerFang told above… Some Muslims would both drink with you or at the very least get you alcohol, others wouldn’t. I’d guess, since this woman seems like a recent convert, she’s taking her religious obligations about alcohol much more seriously than many other muslims would. The market I go to has tons of Muslims who work there, and none seem to mind selling me booze. Nor do the nice ladies in full abayas and niqabs seem to mind shopping in a place that sells alcohol.

6 Likes

Get a job you can do if you can’t do the job you have because…religion. No excuses. This is just fundamentalist crap. The job doesn’t demand that she consume alcohol, just as Kim Davis’s job in Kentucky doesn’t demand that she get “gay married.”

2 Likes

Oh my god shut the hell up and do your job. WAH WAH WAH. SHUT UP! God doesn’t like lazy people either. YOU KNOW, ONE OF THE 7 DEADLY SINS?! Shut up!

3 Likes

That’s a suggestion, not a doctrine, as Mormons who avoid Coca-Cola can attest.

2 Likes

Well, that’s a good point. I must admit, it never occurred to me that the BYOB was based in religion: I just assumed it was to avoid the hassle and cost of getting a licence.

I may be wrong, but I believe this can also be a way to allow customers a drink when the restaurant doesn’t have an alchohol licence.

1 Like

I need clarification on people who might be more savvy with the Muslim faith

Individuals and groups are allowed to interpret their Muslim faith stuff as they please just like different Christians interpret their bible and the Christian faith in widely varying ways.

Heck, the several Christian sects in the U.S. can’t even agree on the ‘rules’ of Christianity. Mormons are Christian, so are Unitarians, so are Amish (just to name a few).

The thing is, there’s probably a same-pay job within the airline for that lady that doesn’t involve serving alcohol… there might even be a job as a flight attendant on specific (maybe bigger) flights that doesn’t require her to serve alcohol.
Accommodating restrictive religious beliefs can usually happen in large corporations (and in gov’t work) by a simple job change.

Somewhat curiously, the Abrahamic monotheisms that claim majority share in the US and quite a few other markets for salvation goods do mandate a specially separated non-work day; but this matter of ‘religious freedom’ does not seem to have freed any shift-labor peons from working on Sunday. It is, of course, utterly incomprehensible why such an economically inconvenient, but scripturally ironclad, matter is politely ignored, while the burning issues of homosexuals and filling prescriptions are allowed to take center stage…

(Also, the gymnastics required for an adherent of a usury-prohibiting religion to participate in any developed world economy are downright Scholastic; and we mostly ignore that problem.)

6 Likes

If not serving alcohol is so important, even doing some other job in a bar would be enabling and promoting the service and consumption of alcohol. If she wants to be strict about it, she doesn’t get a pass just because she doesn’t pour the drinks herself. The Orthodox Jewish God apparently finds favor in that kind of hairsplitting rules-lawyering but AFAIK Allah doesn’t think it’s funny.

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty sure there’s something about not making fires involved.

Yes, thank you. Reform.

You’re not wrong, but in those cases I asked them and they told me it was on religious grounds.

1 Like

There are several schools of thought on this, and there is at least one that considers alcohol to be a quantum sin, in the sense that the alcohol has to be able to appreciably increase your blood alcohol level, since your body generates alcohol as well. The Islamic jurisprudenciary process (called Fiqh) actually involves a fair bit of contextual reasoning. In this case based on Muhammed’s saying that “what intoxicates in large amounts intoxicates in small amounts” (Basically an argument against, “Just a sip.”) the line of reasoning goes that if a known small amount present in the body most of the time does not, as a fact, intoxicate, then the interpretation is the Muhammed’s statement was not in relation to things like antiseptic alcohol. Other schools take it to the extreme that no extra alcohol beyond what is in bread (since Muhammed was known to eat bread) should be consumed or applied. The standing exception to all of this is necessity to life. Muslims cannot take an action (or refuse to take an action) that needlessly imperils their life. So if injured and the only antiseptic available is alcohol, they are obligated by most schools of thought to use it.

With regards to the topic in general, the law on this is very reasonable:

1.) The belief must be sincerely held. Check.
2.) The accommodations required must be reasonable. You can’t argue that your religious beliefs require you to open the cabin doors mid-flight and have that respected, no matter how sincerely held that belief may be. Half-check. I don’t have enough information. On the surface, it seems fairly simple to say, “Okay, there’s always more than one flight attendant, we’ll have the others do it. Muslims are a minority religion anyway, so the chances that we’ll cross-schedule too many Muslims are slim.” I do know that flight attendants’ primary responsibilities are related to safety, so alcohol is a tertiary concern. That being said, I’m not an FA, so I don’t know how reasonable this accommodation would be. This is the part that gets sussed out in court, but on its face, I don’t see this being a major problem for the airline.

ETA: I’ve flown on carriers for Muslim-majority countries that serve alcohol. I am fairly certain that the FAs on those flights who don’t want to serve alcohol aren’t being forced to. So there is at least some evidence that this is doable.

1 Like

Oh, you can totally do this. Unless the business has critical staffing needs on the Sabbath. Problems include, but are not limited to:

Most workers cannot afford to enforce their rights, or are not savvy about them.
Most workers at that level of pay need the hours.

2 Likes