Mutant horticulture

I have a similar problem with jade plants

At least they look nice, unlike certain aloes I could mention…

7 Likes

More phalaenopsis (thanks, @FloridaManJefe!) blooms opening up. So pretty! I took her outside for the photos, and she lives on my desk with lots of very bright indirect light from south-facing windows.

9 Likes

Hey look! I stuck it to a chunk of driftwood with some :coconut: fiber

I could have done a better job with the fishing line, but my eyes ain’t what they used to be

9 Likes

all right! that looks awesome!
should be very happy like that

6 Likes

I know the previous common name for this house plant is now considered offensive, but this is kind of ridiculous:

Sansevieria Dracaena trifasciata pups!

ETA: today I learned that these plants are now considered to be Dracaena genus

9 Likes

your Dracaena is what is colloquially called “mother-in-law’s tongue” around here (they’re everywhere!).
is that an offensive common name, i wonder? :thinking:

btw: i adored my MiL. may she RIP. (her daughter? well, that’s not a story for today.)

8 Likes

I purposely avoided using that common name, although mothers-in-law aren’t really persecuted or a minority. I try to say “snake plant” now…

7 Likes

He was referring to the other plant, Tradescantia zebrina

3 Likes

They both have common names that could be considered offensive. However, I’m much less concerned about offending mothers-in-law, especially my own.

6 Likes

yes. “wandering dude” is how that one shall be known here on out.
the Dude abides.
the other, the Dracaena, snake plant is MiL’s tongue. that could dredge up some tired, old stereotypes that are rather offensive.
i think we all get it, thanks.

9 Likes

Now I’ve got this old Portishead song in my head, with “wandering dude” as the main lyric:

5 Likes

One common name for Sansevieria in German I learned at some point was Fleischerpalme (because they apparently were often used in window décors of butchers - I don’t even!).

6 Likes

The old and the new, side by side.

14 Likes

epiphyte “air plant” in bloom:

like spanish moss dangling from trees in swampy places, these plants just get all they need from humidity, a little rain and air. this one is hanging on to an old post out back.

13 Likes

Started gardening in a public space late last year. Summer is early this year, and no rain in sight. But so far, I did a decent job.

12 Likes

Our daughter came over to help mom plant a crap ton of hanging baskets and various pots. Tomorrow my wife does all the ground plants.

I’m not allowed to help with the flowers but I was allowed to make lunch.

14 Likes

It’s been several fun but way too hot days of planting. I can’t remember what this first one is, but it works well with this pot.

I love the fluorescent look the light pink gives this geranium.

I don’t remember what the two bigger currently flower less plants are, but they get a long cluster of yellow flowers. I tried marigolds in the front last year, but they didn’t get enough sun, so I’m trying begonias this year.

And finally some columbines in a planter I built on a fairly steep slope.

I made the mistake of building the planter on a 90 degree day, but the plants needed to get in the ground.

11 Likes

Leopard plants?

7 Likes

That’s it. Based on the pics I just looked up it’s probably the ‘bottle rocket’ variety.

7 Likes

I was at the small but delightful Kaufman garden in KC over the weekend. These are just common houseplants but very well cultured.

9 Likes