My favorite dark chocolate: Lindt 90% cocoa

[Read the post]

3 Likes

You have good taste, Iā€™m currently eating some of their 70% by coincidence, though only because I ate all of the 90% last night. It goes really well with a glass of red wine.

3 Likes

Dunked?

2 Likes

Ha! I just discovered these, and theyā€™re now my fave too (and they too go well with red wine). Nice that theyā€™re not all that expensive compared to fancier dark bars.

2 Likes

Cocoa needs sugar, youā€¦ you.,. barbarian.

1 Like

I only eat 110% cocoa chocolate. Anything else isnā€™t trying hard enough.

17 Likes

My wife always gets me chocolate that can killā€¦ Me likey.
80-90% is the best for just enjoying chocolate.

3 Likes

You choose the most intense chocolate allowed by law, and chase it with the most flavorless nuts?

Askinosie 77% dark Phillippines single-source bar. It will make you cry. (And not just at the price tag! Ba-dum tisch.)

https://askinosie.com/77-davao-philippines-dark-chocolate-bar.html

1 Like

Hey @markfrauenfelder let me know anytime you want an article on making chocolate. Like from nibs. Iā€™ll send you chocolate samples to review :smile:

(I will have to build two custom machines)

3 Likes

My advice if you do try it: even 90ā€° chocolate you can munch on, but if you try that with 99%, youā€™ll just get a bitter taste all over your mouth. For the 99%, take a square and just let it melt on your tongue. Youā€™ll get all of the intense chocolatey flavor, but itā€™ll take the edge off of the bitterness.

4 Likes

Yeah, the 99% isā€¦ challenging by itself. I like it with strong black coffee. Let a small bit melt on the tongue, then a few sips of coffee. Yum.

3 Likes

Hardcore, dude!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I do, but with red wine. The absolute best.

I like the 90% too. Their 99% doesnā€™t stand up to Cluziel Noir Infini 99%.

But sadly Lindt wonā€™t commit to fair trade chocolate, so Iā€™ve given up buying from them until they do.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œfrauenfelder, post:1, topic:61258, full:trueā€]
Iā€™ve yet to try Lindtā€™s 99% Cocoa Excellence Bar (1g of sugar per 40g serving!), mainly because gram-for-gram, it costs four times as much as the 90% bars.[/quote]
Kind of seems like serving up a bowl of ground beef with a saltine on top, calling it a gourmet hamburger, and charging $50 for it.

1 Like

Why would you publish this?!?

Havenā€™t you heard there is a cacao shortage at hand?

Now Iā€™ll need to start (increase my) hoardingā€¦

Iā€™ll second that (from experience). I tried one of the Lindt 99% bars, and it was not pleasant. Suitable for cooking with, or perhaps if you want to earn hipster cred for eating something that nobody else is eatingā€¦

My favorite:

It could do to be a wee bit more bitter, but for overall balance, itā€™s hard to beat.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe you actually buy chocolate bars >:)

At bar trivia tonight my machinist friend and I were talking about building Nib Crushers. We have some designs in mind, and the ā€˜curing plateā€™ should be easy.

I was advocating springs for the rollers, to provide more downward pressure, but he wants to try leverage first. The design appears to be simple. Take a look at this:

Instead of granite wheels, I fab stainless wheels, rough them up, and use either leverage or springs to apply weight.

One vertical axis, one horizontal. Turning the tub or container via a belt could be even better, since there is less chance of contamination.

3 Likes

My boss was just forcing me to eat some of the 70% stuff today.

My life is very hard.

5 Likes