My favorite garlic crusher

Any BBs thread about this, photography, typogaphy or knife sharpening gets unwieldy fast.

8 Likes

See what happens when you recline your seat on the plane to make room to use your garlic press (I’d use a knife, but because of the TSA…)

4 Likes

I pretty much only knife it, because I typically like my garlic coarser. Things are milder and sweeter that way, and I just add more or cook it less for pungency. If I’m feeling lazy I will microplane, mostly for marinades. Though I try to avoid it, because as the article points out. That shit gets farty in the wrong application. If I need paste and I’m not in a rush I’ve taken to running it through the mortar and pestle with coarse salt. Its about the same amount of work as grinding it with the knife. But its less finicky. That’s entirely contingent on having a good mortar and pestle though. We scored a bunch of good quality marble ones at TJ Maxx like 10 years ago.

2 Likes

I agree. I purchased one based on Boing Boing’s recommendation and, in fact, used it to cook dinner tonight. The biggest problem is that bits of garlic get stuck in the holes, especially the small ones on the sides. I whack it on the cutting board which gets some out, but end up using a tooth pick to get out what sticks. Even running it under water there is always stuck garlic.

I like using it just not cleaning it up.

2 Likes

I recently (3-4 weeks ago) microplane grated the tip of my finger off while grating cheese. I have pictures! I’m not sure you want to see. It has now mostly healed, but the tip of my finger looks like a cat paw pad (and it’s completely numb).

4 Likes

Well then! Have I got a model 25ST Tinius Olsen 5000 lbf Compression Machine for youuuuuuu!

5 Likes

But what if we use more power? (Thank you xkcd for that one)

3 Likes

Cool, want.
Please start BB buyers club.

3 Likes

6 Likes

It will smash the garlic through the holes, which you can then add to your food or skillet.

But if I add holes to my skillet, the hot oil will run out onto the burner.

Cooking is hard!

I got this in the mail today. I have a head of garlic that’s soon to be history.

Perhaps more suitable… “The Crusher” (Looney Tunes wrestler):

4 Likes

And the late Reginald Lisowski. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Professional wresting is so bogus. I’m into legitimate sports… like roller derby.

:wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.