My favorite garlic crusher

Aliexpress has a whole bunch of these at prices between $2 and $5. The main difference between the various versions, besides the geometric arrangement of the holes, is in the view from the bottom: some have the honeycomb cutting arrangement (like the two Mark linked to), others are smooth (so likely smash the garlic more). I found one for under $5 that I believe (from the photos, especially the photo of the guy with the hairy wrists) is the same as the more expensive on linked by Mark, at that price point it might be worthwhile buying one to keep our Zyliss garlic press and microplane graters company.

For deskinning I like the, for lack of a better phrase, shake method. If I want garlic flavor, I prefer a more rustic cut, as in larger pieces. If it needs to be incorporated into a smooth sauce, a stick blender and a chinois.

I agree. The rocker crusher is the best crusher.

6 Likes

I’m waiting for “My Favorite Spoon” Article.

After inventing the perfect avocado cultivar, the six axis industrial milling machine was his next great contribution to the world.

Man, that guy.

5 Likes

How many garlic gadgets is it now that Mark and Jason have recommended at this point? I seem to do fine with a knife and some internal rage.

5 Likes

This is interesting. I’ve actually never found a garlic scale microplane to do any damage to my skin. It seems to conform well as one grates and not cut at all. That is, i typically push with bare hands directly against the surface.

I wonder if it’s the size of the cutting blades. Certainly i try to avoid the blades when grating cheese.

Microplanes (specifically, with the square-cuts microplanes have instead of the usual “holes” of other graters) are skin-destroyers. Culinary school taught me that in no uncertain terms.

@Ryuthrowsstuff Interesting, I pretty much only either knife-mince garlic (if I want a mild flavour), or (more often) microplane it, because I love garlic and the flavours it adds. Interesting that the article came out with essentially the same results.

I do knife-puree as well, partly because I learned it in school, and partly because it creates the finest puree, imho, so in applications where texture matters and cooking is slim to none, it’s of use, too.

2 Likes

This made me laugh out very laud. :slight_smile:
But maybe you want to fix the typo.

3 Likes

rasp-indulgences for all!

5 Likes

So i needed to test this, [and did] (https://goo.gl/photos/jMsv6quBx7qTR4TP9). After the first video i made, there was no discernable damage. After the second video, the skin was starting to pill a bit, but no pain or serious damage. For grating home kitchen levels of garlic the damage is negligible to me. I’d be interested to know what, if anything, we’re doing differently if you get a different outcome.

You, me, and a handful of other nerds get that joke.

Well played, I’m gonna tell it to my machinist friend, who may throw me in his literal scrap heap. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Does it work well with fresh ginger, too?

There is no spoon.

1 Like

Why make garlic prep so complicated? Just use your molars. A few quick motions with the jaw and you’re ready to swallow.

2 Likes

I’ve observed the same effect with a Ryobi circular saw.

1 Like

58 messages about mincing garlic. Only on the internet.

6 Likes

So do I.

…are we talking about cooking now? Yeah, I knew that.

7 Likes

I’ve never made a recipe with that many cloves of garlic, but I like to leave my options open.

5 Likes

Plus, there is salty garlic paste to lick off the knife. Salty garlic paste is delicious.

3 Likes