Stainless steel garlic press for $9

[Read the post]

Doesn’t come in vintage cast iron. Disappointed.

(Ducks from the heirloom tomato tossed at my head)

4 Likes

A lot of people claim you can remove garlic odors from your skin by rubbing on stainless steel, as long as you haven’t let the garlic juice soak in for too long.

So I wonder if using a stainless press would affect flavors…

3 Likes

Got the very same thing from Ebay for $6.99 and free shipping. Very nice tool.
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191539346194?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No claims needed, it really does. I recall an article comparing the four main methods of processing garlic: mincing, crushing, pressing, and grating. (Sorry, I wish I could recall where I read it.) Mincing didn’t yield the most aromatic result, but they found that garlic processed this way had the widest variety of uses. Pressing yielded the most pronounced aroma but was also most prone to heat-induced acridity and therefore ideal only for low-heat applications. But it was grating that yielded the worst results: grated garlic was far lower in aroma than pressed, yet had the same heat issue. Altogether, these results would seem to support your inference that greater exposure to stainless (temporal or by surface area) will reduce the aromatic components of garlic.

4 Likes

Do not use garlic presses. That is all.

2 Likes

Fuck that, you get a rotten Roma. I’m eating the heirloom.

2 Likes

OMG, you almost had me.

It’s how CRUSHED the cell structure becomes.

Curse you!!! May Dracula visit you in your sleep tonight.

I have a couple friends who have only recently started learning how to cook and they often are looking for the paths of least resistance. If having a garlic press in their hands determines whether they’ll learn to cook with garlic, I’m all for it. Anyone serious about learning to cook will graduate to the simplicity of a good knife eventually.

2 Likes

I think you would be doing a favor steering them away from gadgets that don’t save time or improve the quality of the food.

I agree, I just prefer to coach them in a way that allows them to own that realization. My one friend only recently upgraded from one of those cheap micro-serrated chef knives to a very nice santoku and she loves it. She gets the ‘one good knife’ thing now. Baby steps.

2 Likes

Probably ought to be using a gold blade, but whaddya want, it was prison:

4 Likes

“Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled
correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago, garlic that
has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all
disgusting. Please, treat your garlic with respect. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas,
don’t burn it. Smash it, with the flat of your knife blade if you like, but don’t put it through a press.
I don’t know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain’t garlic.”

• Anthony Bourdain
3 Likes

It sells for around $4 shipped on aliexpress.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.