My mother cracked her phones screen protector

I don’t know if it’s superior, but it doesn’t crack and then cut you. :smiley: I don’t have much trouble with touch or gestures - at least, no more than I do on my devices that don’t have screen protectors at all. There’s a little bit more friction than with a glass screen. The plastic HD screen protectors are pretty nice. I’m pretty rough on my phones - I drop them constantly but have somehow (probably cursing myself now) never broken a screen other than my glass screen protector. Looks like I have a couple of little scratches on my current plastic screen protector, but I’ve been using it for a year and a half and spent this past weekend seemingly unable to stop dropping my phone on every concrete surface I could find, so I’d expect some wear and tear. My kid finally took my phone away from me to protect it this weekend, lol.

Actually, I’m going to pick up one of the TechArmor HD ones right now since I’m thinking of it. Those weren’t in stock the last time I needed one, so I can try to report back once it comes in.

1 Like

They even work fine with packing tape.

1 Like

My anecdotal experience…

Had been rolling with different plastics/vinyls for decades without a problem. Only screen I ever cracked was a straight shot onto concrete, corner first. Never got a scratch on the screen. Some brands would even appear to self heal scratches and bubbles. Eventually they just get curled on a corner and time to replace. The clarity was never a problem for me and they have different textures.

I have been trying glass protectors to compare,but they constantly chip and crack under my drops or sometimes just having it in a pocket with other objects.

I don’t have an opinion wether the glass may protect any better than plastic. I would assume glass would better absorb a puncture attack like an ice pick, but I don’t believe glass offers anything for drops that plastic doesn’t. Plastic does the mostly the same job without the chips.

2 Likes

I read an article – can’t find it now – that said plastic film actually works better than a glass protector.

One of my kids had broken every single screen she ever had while using the glass type, until she listened to me and put on the plastic film type instead. Hasn’t cracked her screen since that change. (Knock on wood) And I’ve only ever used the plastic type, and (OMG KNOCK ON WOOD) have never cracked a screen, despite the fact I average at least one serious drop to the floor every day.

2 Likes

We have an iPad with a screen that is 1/3 taped over cracks and it’s worked like that since 2013 or so. The OS will die from bitrot before the screen fails.

2 Likes

Are the glass ones easy to take off when they crack?

It’s such an intimidating process! I really need to replace the protector on my 3DS, but I feel like the day after I do it, I will suddenly encounter the Secret Technique to applying them without bubbles. I hear one trick is to use a steam-filled room.

2 Likes

I also hear it’s best to do it under a full moon. While wearing a ten-gallon hat. Helps too if at that moment, a raccoon is howling.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.