'My Octopus Teacher' is an extraordinary, must-watch documentary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/my-octopus-teacher-is-an-e.html

3 Likes

Fortunately calamari is squid, but point taken about eating octopus.

3 Likes

Fun fact: The plural of octopus should octopuses, though octopi is common and in many dictionaries. The word is Greek in origin, not Latin.

1 Like

Completely agree—the message about healing from trauma stuck with me permanently.

2 Likes

“Calamari “? Really?

1 Like

What a radical idea, eh? We share the planet with other intelligent, sentient creatures that might be able to teach us a thing or two.

5 Likes

But Takoyaki isn’t well known outside of Japan

3 Likes

Yes,
education is paramount.

1 Like

Watched this doc last night. It’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. Great underwater photography and a truly moving story. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

I watched it last night and wondered, How big are this guy’s lungs? He did miss some of the shots because he had to come up for air, but still, he got some really good footage. The film editor in me (which ain’t much at all, disclaimer) was thinking that he stitched a lot of disparate shots to tell his story, but in the end, it was a good story indeed. Recommend.

2 Likes

That looks really interesting, thanks.

@RobJ -Yes, it was moving the first time the octopus rode up on his hand when he went to get air.

Sunomono is one of my favorite treats when I go to get sushi. I am not sure if I will ask them to remove the octopus, or just forgo the dish. I won’t be eating any more octopus.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.