My off-label use for these silicone BBQ cooking gloves

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/30/my-off-label-use-for-these-sil.html

4 Likes

They actually look like they would be good for fishing bottles of jam or tomatoes out of a canning bath as well, as long as they are waterproof. Less chance of slippage.

7 Likes

They have a “ribbed for pleasure” vibe, don’t you think?

14 Likes

27 Likes

Isn’t that what meat claws are for?

https://store.boingboing.net/sales/meat-claws-2-pairs

2 Likes

My sis gave me a pair of leather grill gloves. I wear them to pill the cats.

12 Likes

Batteries or rechargeable? :grin:

3 Likes

Might be useful for corn on the cob too.

3 Likes

I have considered getting a pair of these for when my car has been sitting in the sun all day and the steering wheel is to hot to touch.

8 Likes

My few-years-old “LoveU” mitts no longer protect from heat very well so this is great timing. Code worked! Thanks Mark.

Edit: I noticed the Cuisinart branded gloves only protect to 425F but these can handle 446F.

2 Likes

If you let that hot chicken rest you will save your hands from heat and end up with a much moister bird.

5 Likes

You can still moister bird while wearing these gloves and avoid soiling your hands with greasy fat. I rest my chicken.

4 Likes

No, no, my friend. This model is completely manual, no batteries or external power supply necessary.

3 Likes

Heh, I have nerve damage in my fingertips from a life time of nail biting. I do stupid things like pick up boiling hot casserole dishes pretty often. Granted I do it quickly so I don’t get blisters, but it does feel like a superpower.

4 Likes

They’re good for handling meat.

4 Likes

That’s what she said.

5 Likes

That sounds like the closing argument of the world’s worst lawyer, “My lord, I rest my chicken!”

3 Likes

I think I know what you are talking about (putting the pills in a small lump of butter can sometimes work, but they can get wise to that).
But my first thought was not that, and I seriously wondered how one of these would work on a cat, and how you might need sedatives as well as leather gloves. The sedatives are for the cat, not you, of course, which brings us back to where we started.

(Technically, I guess you’d need to pill the cat in order to de-pill the cat, but ‘pill’ as a verb sent me straight to mental pictures of a thing that de-pills, not to the concept of giving cats pills.)

5 Likes

De-pilling? Fuzz-Away? I liked it so much, I bought the company… hang about, I’m not Victor Kiam?!

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that The Avengers (as in Peel & Steed) had a joke about an electric razor that could be switched into a ‘reverse’ mode, but my Google-fu is weak today.

1 Like