"Myst" co-creator, Rand Miller, tells "War Stories" about pushing the hardware envelope while developing this classic 90s computer game

That would have been neat to watch, but that ship has sailed. I have no way of playing a CDROM any more and since I re-bought the game on Steam, I dumped the original disks.

…and it’s 70MB to boot. I guess after they figured out how to store the game efficiently on disc they ended up with a lot of free space.

I found it on YouTube. Enjoy that glorious early-90s audio compression hiss, hehe.

My favorite moments:

• Rand talking about what a good deal they got on the dictionary they used for what would eventually be known as the Riven Book, right after Robyn snarkily talking about what a “high-quality production” they had with their incredible bluescreen.
  • Chris Brandkamp and his Craftsman 7/8" wrench with a lifetime guarantee.
  • Toilet bubbles
  • Chuck Carter and Robyn (Rand’s brother) explaining how 3D rendering works, over footage of their Macs taking 20 seconds to re-draw the wireframe of a scene with probably 2000 polygons in it.
  • Chuck talking about the inspiration for the maze runner.
  • RAWA playing Prince of Persia (a bit they reprised to tease realMYST for the Mac in 2000)

Robyn also did a talk about making the game at GDC, which is where I first heard about them having to manually lay out the CD track so they could keep all of the images for the game physically close to each other based on how they would need to be accessed. Really wild stuff.

4 Likes

The 660 pizza box was easily the best form factor for a desktop workstation ever.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.