Mysterious and spooky sounds of the forest may be coming from the sky not the trees

Originally published at: Mysterious and spooky sounds of the forest may be coming from the sky not the trees - Boing Boing

9 Likes

Via Allan Rose Hill

4 Likes

7 Likes

On a favorite trail near me, there’s a spot where you can hear a lovely creaking groaning sing-song sound. I couldn’t work out what was making it, until one hike I looked up and saw that two trees which were well apart on the ground actually met up in the canopy to rub right up against each other. They’re different species with different barks, and it’s just a lovely song.

9 Likes

Okay, noises from space I can go with - but what in the name of ever-living fuck made this noise?

1 Like

During hikes Up North, I’ve often heard “snapping” and creaking sounds from the sky before, after, and during auroras, good to know I’m not crazy. Well, not ‘hearing things’ crazy. Well, not under those particular circumstances. I’m still not convinced about the “Hum” I keep hearing in remote, quiet places.

3 Likes

Oh that’s just the gnomes.

3 Likes

That’s . . . less comforting that you might think.

4 Likes

Oh give me a home,
where the gnomes don’t moan,
and the skies are not rowdy all day…

6 Likes

Gnomes and redcaps may look similar to the untrained eye but really they’re easy to tell apart.

Does the little chap with a red hat have a fishing rod, a shovel or wheelbarrow or some other agricultural implement? That’s a gnome.

Does he have a pike; is he trying to bite your face off? Redcap.

There are those who will try and tell you that redcaps are just gnomes who’ve been on the Tennent’s Super Strong but that’s just anti-gnome, anti-Scottish propaganda.

It can admittedly be tricky for laymen to quickly spot the difference between a hoe and a pike but the “biting your face off” is a dead giveaway.

7 Likes

A test of the red dye used in the hat should quickly tell the tale.

4 Likes

The redcap (or powrie) is a type of malevolent, murderous goblin

Known for their red hats embroidered “Make Alba Goblin Again”.

4 Likes

Same. It is an experience I’ll never forget.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.