Mysterious blast leaves big crater on uninhabited New York island

Originally published at: Mysterious blast leaves big crater on uninhabited New York island | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Clearly a gender reveal party

45 Likes

Police are looking into it.

I’ll get my coat.

31 Likes

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

8 Likes

Those little fascist “Proud Boys” were just marching on Long Island last week, making a big show of parading down the street and barging into businesses scaring people. Wouldn’t put it past them to be looking to blow some shit up so the can blame it on antifa or Muslims or whoever…

11 Likes

If that were the case, the devastation would have been more widespread, effecting innocent bystanders.

2 Likes

It seems like there are people who find or make things to blow up/make loud bangs out there. Especially in the summer, I hear loud booms every week around here. No idea wtf it is. M-80 type things?

I know someone who got a hold of something like that for the 4th of July once, so if he could get it and light it off on the 4th, others must have a stash of them and fee like 11:30pm on a random Wednesday is a good time to set one off.

That is deep, which makes me think they buried it. Maybe someone got a hold of some dynamite.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t there be some forensic evidence in the blast zone? Fragments of some sort? Or have I watched too much teevee?

My money’s on an old WWII era mine that washed up and hit a submerged Ford Pinto.

8 Likes

Blast heard all 'round the uninhabited island…
:thinking:

“I thought something hit the roof, I looked out and saw some sand in the air.”
Reporter: “He was nearly knocked off his feet from the explosion a mile away.”
Crater is a few feet wide in sand
:thinking::thinking::thinking:

That was my first thought. But in reflection… I’m guessing it wasn’t that strong since it’s in sand.

5 Likes

Many people just like to make big booms (and as these things go, this one isn’t all that big). It’s relatively easy if you have access to a bunch of acreage in the middle of nowhere. If you’re in NYC, much more difficult to find a safe place to do this. Going to an uninhabited island to do this sounds quite sane in my opinion. The notion of this being a practice run for something nefarious sounds absurd to me.

2 Likes

Jan. 6th D.C. pipe bomber finally figures out why the previous ones didn’t explode?

3 Likes

I’m still stuck on “uninhabited New York island.” Man made?

ryan reynolds hd GIF

9 Likes

Dredge spoils was my assumption. We have several around these parts (upper Chesapeake).

6 Likes

I know the place. When we were teens someone’s put a butane cylinder on a beach fire over some cardboard and jumped behind the dunes. Similar effect.

I have a lot of brothers.

22 Likes

I live not far from there.

Definitely a gender reveal party.

Probably Trump themed.

2 Likes

It’s a big state.

It’s a small barrier island in the great south bay. Little more than a sand bar with some dunes and many nesting sea birds.

2 Likes

Despite the complete lack of evidence to support such a hypothesis - are we already ruling out damaged alien flying saucer trying to make an emergency landing before its dark matter reactor exploded?

Just in case, I’ve got The History Channel on the line.

3 Likes

It’s near Lindenhurst. More likely a rouge meth lab.

Or Proud Boys training exercise. Which is probably the actual reason for concern locally.

So, the count didn’t go down much then?

10 Likes