Mysterious phone texts puzzle recipients, carriers won't explain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/mysterious-phone-texts-puzzle.html

4 Likes

This sounds like an opportunity to prank people with nonsense texts, and blame the Blip.

3 Likes

Something to do with a third party system update, apparently. Got a test from my daughter (away at college) at 0430, which is not an ideal way to wake up. Adrenaline surge and all, not my favorite.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cell-phones-mysterious-text-messages_n_5dc4424fe4b0d8eb3c917dcf

7 Likes

Texts bouncing off the Monolith by Jupiter.

17 Likes

NSA - Oops, we forgot to put this batch back after reading them.

38 Likes

If I were quicker on the ball, I would have taken the cue to start randomly texting friends Valentine’s Day salutations when this news first broke.

10 Likes

We get your text messages through. no matter what.

7 Likes

Explanation here: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953422/text-messages-delayed-received-overnight-valentines-day-delay

A company named Syniverse, which provides networking services, later took blame for the messages being delayed. Syniverse said a single server was at fault: that server failed on February 14th, trapping messages waiting to be sent out; the server was only brought back online on November 7th. When that happened, all of the messages were finally delivered.

16 Likes

This, right here, is why sms needs to die on the wire.

We don’t need dumb, non-checksummed, no-delivery-confirmation, unencrypted networks anymore.

24 Likes

I saw reports of some friends getting messages from dead people.

8 Likes

Right when everyone is ramping up their quantum computing. With quantum, there is no coincidence.

3 Likes

With all the spying accusations and the NSA and they don’t know where the calls from. What are we paying taxes for?

2 Likes

I didn’t mind a few random texts from the past. The ones from the future are a little spooky, though.

17 Likes

Are we sure it doesn’t involve some intelligence agency?

2 Likes

My small phone carrier seems to do this every so often, even with phone calls. Doesn’t bother me, but it can lead to eerie situations, i.e. I’m talking to someone in person, my phone rings and its their phone number, from a call they had made earlier finally connecting. (When I answered it, there was, of course, no one there.)

1 Like

“Mr. President, this is of the utmost urgency - Rudy has been making a fucking mess over here, please leash your dog or this is going to bite us all in the ass.”

• Amb. Sondland
11 Likes

Its a fat electron, stuck in a transistor.

8 Likes

Hey now, don’t be talking about my sistor, or ima clapback about Oumuama! :wink:

4 Likes

Happens occasionally on my Hangouts app (via Google Fi, which uses T-Mobile, Sprint & US Cellular), but not with that long a duration of time (but long enough to be a problem!)

2 Likes

I often get texts hours, or days later. I assumed this happened to everyone, all the time.

4 Likes