Mysterious rolls of cash randomly appearing in English village

A research TV program (focussed on entertainment mostly) in the Netherlands once did a test with this. They turned in about 20 wallets, with some cash in it, to the police. Turns out that some wallets when returned to their owners were missing the cash.

It may turn out the mostly the people turning stuff in are fairer then the people that are taking it in for safe keeping…

1 Like

I once found a wallet full of cash, while I was working at kinko’s. I called the owner, and kept it in my pocket until he returned to collect it. (Some of my coworkers were less scrupulous.)

He was a financial planner, and in return for my honesty he did me the most wonderful kindness in return. I am and will always be grateful to Mr. Burgess. He set me up with a retirement savings account, even though I was only 23 and pretty broke. He said that even if I only put in $5 or $10 a month, it would make a difference later. He didn’t even give me any money, just a way to save for my future self.

It’s been 25 years, and I think that if I hadn’t had the retirement account in place, I would have put it off for too long, and started far too late. If I get to retire, I’ll have him to thank.

2 Likes

My first thought too.
My second thought: best ever publicity stunt by a local tourism office…

1 Like

Theoretically in the UK, if the owner doesn’t come forward then the police will give the cash to you, but this seems to vary from force to force.
On the other hand, if you just walk off with it, technically you are guilty of “theft by finding”, which occasionally people get done for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.