Mystery foot in a shoe found on New Zealand beach

Originally published at: Mystery foot in a shoe found on New Zealand beach | Boing Boing

3 Likes

These wash up periodically all over the world. And there’s a simple explanation. Someone is lost at sea, their dead body disintegrates over time, leaving the foot intact still encased inside the shoe.

13 Likes

i was expecting that headline to be: Mystery foot in a shoe found on New Zealand beach…was not that

4 Likes

The original draft of the poem “Footprints in the Sand” had a final line that explained this phenomenon:

My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you
Because I sawed your feet off.

13 Likes

Makes me tear up every time I read it.

Sad Tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

9 Likes

Clearly a migratory species.

7 Likes

A case for Minogue and O’Leary.

2 Likes

[checks] It’s not mine.

5 Likes

A container was washed off a ship. Scientists use them to trace ocean currents.

Calling it now, the next meteor to fly by Earth will be measured in “mystery feet”.

3 Likes

If they had found 2 shoes with feet in them would the first sentence have to read "Something strange is afeet off the coast of New …

1 Like

Containers of severed feet? That’s a niche market.

4 Likes

A mystery? The game is afoot!

I’ll see myself out.

4 Likes

Time wounds all heels.

3 Likes

Just swim one foot in front of the other.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that BC and New Zealand have a lot in common, but I didn’t think it extended to this.

… that the old ladies might devour them and leave only their feet?

2 Likes

I was caught up in the investigation into all those feet in BC.

My dad died and I inherited a pickup truck and a plastic joke foot. (A gag-gift from the 80’s) A very fake looking foot.

Well fast-forward a couple of months later and someone saw me in the truck at a stoplight with the foot propped up on the lockbox behind the cab, and apparently reported me.

At about 3 am one morning I am awakened by police wanting to know where my truck is. They lie, claiming it was involved in a hit-and-run. The truck is at work (I left it there, planning to pick it up on the weekend). I go back to bed.

I believed them but thought maybe the truck was stolen? I never hit anyone. They left a cop outside to watch the house incase I ran.

Long story short, they find the fake foot, then came back to my house to accuse me of wasting their time and the time of the police in two different provinces and several jurisdictions. I might be in a lot of trouble. :roll_eyes: My wife starts to unload on this detective because wtf?

Turns out, they thought they had caught a serial killer. Big promotions all 'round! They were all patting themselves on the back thinking I was coming from Alberta to kill people on the regular - I guess?

They finally just made me release the foot the them and sign a disclaimer that I gave it up willingly. I considered fighting for my hefty inheritance, but it really didn’t seem worth it - plus, I now have this story.

And it turns out:
This prolly happened because of advances in shoe tech. New modern runners are quite buoyant and last longer than ankle joints so will float with foot in and wash up elsewhere, unlike it would in a typical shoe.

Several missing persons cases were actually solved when they realised this.

2 Likes

Cue “Footloose” music video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.