Mystery of missing trash cans solved

Originally published at: Mystery of missing trash cans solved | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Rom nom nom.

8 Likes

It says “Weight limit 250lbs” right on the bin, just next to “NO HOT ASHES”.

7 Likes

Your guess is backed up by the OP on the reddit thread, only he admits it was garden debris from clearing up the yard, waterlogged by rain and was heavy to roll out.

6 Likes

that video needs a slide whistle, lol.

5 Likes

Garbage truck sez, ‘Nah, it wasn’t that, I just don’t like him’.

5 Likes

A mechanical arm! We are living in the future! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Think green. Think clean.

2 Likes

Seriously, garbage cans should go in the #2/#5 hard plastic recycling.

14 Likes

Not like just ANY plastic bin can get put out for this purpose. These bins get selected by the relevant authority, tens of thousands are bought to conform to their particular waste retrieval mechanics. . Didn’t they think to ensure there’s a feature on the can that prevents it from slipping out of the gripper when being dumped? An extra rib or protrusion?

Always the homeowner on the hook for these poor choices. Luckily I was recording the day the recyclers smashed my bin back to the ground and it shattered. At first the City denied my claim… so I posted the video and shamed them into action.

18 Likes

Here the city provides both the can and picks it up. So I can see why nobody cared except the homeowner.

3 Likes

2022 issues need 2022 solutions.

4 Likes

Who weights their garbage can? How would you weigh your garbage can?

6 Likes

2022 issues need 1822 solutions

6 Likes

With a scale, a big one.

4 Likes

They should just scale up those USPS flat rate mailers and remove the weight limit.

7 Likes

I’m pretty strong but I’d certainly notice if I the can was loaded up to more than 110 kg if only from the effort of hauling it across the yard as those narrow wheels sank into the dirt! It might be a bit easier across pavement but it would still take noticeable effort.

8 Likes

We need to see that video!

7 Likes

I think the owner should bolt on a “wing” that catches the arm so it doesn’t go flying into the compactor.

2 Likes

it their defense, an accident like that caused by the haulers is probably rarer than someone - homeowner or otherwise - driving into, or over, the can

the city should probably give everyone the grace of one free replacement no questions asked. the person on the actual phone with you though: they’ve heard all the stories

ah! that explains it. around here green bins are compost and yard debris and i was trying to square that with “construction debris”

5 Likes